Whining manual transmission

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
Just got a new truck... it's a 94 Sport with manual transmission. PO have told me that transmission might need work soon since it makes a whining sound in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear. It's quiet in 4th. What could be wrong? I want to take it out and replace what's needed but want to get your opinions first.

thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trans is burnt up from being low on fluid. The gears are all toast inside especially the input gear and the countershaft gears. It was porbably ran low on fluid for a while. The reason the whining goes away in 4th gear is that the powerflow goes straight through the trans and not to the burnt up countershaft gears. In other words, you need to overhaul or replace you trans..

If it was running low on oil then saouds to me like I need a new unit or rebuilt one... the only thing that I might be able to save off mine would be the case then... or replace the entire interior... I'll look into this tomorrow... look for used one, look at prices of rebuilt ones and look at prices of rebuild kits... sounds like it shall run for a while untill it freezes up in one of the gears...

no biggie.... better this than an automatic. That would be costly.

Thanks,

I am hearing the same kind of sound with my 5-speed. To me it sounds like it is driving in 4-lo at low speed, at high speed it is a full whine. We are (still) having problems shifting, especially when standing still, after replacing our clutch. Can it be anything other than burnt up gears? How can I visually check whether the gears are burnt up? Will they show signs of excessive heat like blued or blackened metal that has lost its temper, or is it going to be actual wear marks I see?

Is rebuilding the tranny, including replacing the gears, something a decent backyard mechanic can do, or am I stuck buying a new tranny? Where can I find rebuild kits that include the gears?

my tranny did that in my ranger and it locked up on me. the tranny was trash due to low/no fluid right after i had the oil changed at a sevice station that checked the tranny fluid, they drained it by accident and they did pay to replace it.

try to get another one, unless the tranny shop says they can rebuild it but i dont think they will be able to thought.

Instead of rebuilding the tranny I decided to replace it with a used unit... I have found one for $600.00 shipped. The original tranny is sitting in the garage waiting for a rebuilt kit... which is not cheap - around $300.00. Is it easy to rebuild? I think so. Everything comes ready to install... just make sure to replac e all the seals and gaskets... I don't want any more leaks.

BTW - my tranny finally gave in - did not lock-up but just refused to work except for 4th gear.... not really fun starting out of a 4th gear.
;)

Back