• Register Today It's free!

Manual tranmission woes

rsayre2

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I have a 1991 Explorer Sport with a 5speed transmission.
Lately it's been hard to shift into reverse and 5th. 1st-4th is OK.
The reverse issue sounds like a clutch slave cylinder problem so I bled the slave but no change. Shifting into 5th feels like there is a binding in the linkage (I realize there is none - it just feels that way). There is no 'creep' with the clutch disengaged and in 1st.
Are these problems related? Is it time for a new slave cylinder or is there an internal problem?

mine does the same thing only its 2nd and rev. the syncro gears are crappy along with the slave cylinder and the master cylinder the cluch and well pretty much every piece on that tranny is crap. i have 111k on mine and it was rebuilt at 50k when i bought it!!. if you have the time put a t-5 in it. brianb did it and he loves it.

p.s. welcome to the site man!!! you will find anything and everything you need to know about your X.

Thanks for the info.
A little more about my trans - 71K miles, 2wd, if that makes a difference.
What's the best slave cylinder to get? Searching CarParts.com shows quite a range in price.
Showing my ignorance - what's a T5 trans? Is it a straight swap with the Mazda?
Thanks,
Richard

I had the same thing happen, The guy at my tranny shop told me that the O.D. (5th) and rev. where linked and that when one went the other followed. I've had alot of problems with mine but I got the explorer with 170,000 miles so someone got alot of use out of the tranny before it went.

Back