• Register Today It's free!

manual trans whine

mudx

Reaction score
City, State
winifrede west virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT EXPLORER
I have a whine in the first 3 gears but not in 4th gear it also wont go into 5th. iI have changed the slave and t/o bearing also have changed the atf fluid in it. any help on this would be appreciated,thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factory 5sp on a 96? I am impressed!

Sure its the tranny?
Not a U joint or other bearing noise that might kick in at higher speeds? Check for the whine when coasting or when accelerating. If on acceleration only, it could be a joint..........sound has a funny way to travelling

If the tranny just came out....check around for loose bolts on drive shaft...and others. I had to use "lock tite" on mine.

I would jack it up and start shaking and spinning things for loose stuff or rotary noises.

I always start at the rear wheel bearings , drive shaft and go forward....I would even check the front bearings.....its that traveling sound thing again

Was the fliud low or is it leaking? I know the 94s Maxda 5spd can develop leaks at "the freeze out type" plugs behind the shift. There is also some stuff out there about a common shifter bushing problems (at top of shifter) 96 may be different.
Go for the simple stuff first.

Good luck .....You'll find it

Factory 5sp on a 96? I am impressed!

both my 96 and 97 have factory 5spds... theyre hard to find. i looked around for 3 months before i found my 97 sport. 95+ you could only get a 5spd in the sports. You can still get a 5spd in the current sports. ive seen a couple of them @ the dealer.

counter shaft maybe.

Sounds like maybe a counter shaft problem since 4th is free from noise. Im not a manual tranny guy, but synchros and sliders, bearings would come to mind.

Was this happening before you changed out all of the parts mentioned? or did it show up after you put it back together?

Good Luck

5spd in a 97!!! Now you are by hero!

I wanted an 5sp in my 97 and the dealer said:
"No problem...you'll have in 5 months!"
I read the clue....

ooops! Missed the part about "won't go in 5th!"
READ THE PROBLEM TWICE...
Where have I heard that before?

the whine was there before,but I thought it was the t/o bearing. The slave cylinder was leaking also, The atf was black in colorand the drain plug had LOTS of metal shavings, I have changed both universal joints on rear shaft. Someone told me that the input shaft bearing is shot thats why it makes no noise in 4th. THANKS for all your input:) :) :D

Originally posted by IgotTwo
5spd in a 97!!! Now you are by hero!

I wanted an 5sp in my 97 and the dealer said:
"No problem...you'll have in 5 months!"
I read the clue....

ooops! Missed the part about "won't go in 5th!"
READ THE PROBLEM TWICE...
Where have I heard that before?

im gonna be parting out my 96 soon want a manual trans and all the related parts? :D

double check the transmission fluid.

i had the same kind of whine and then my tranny locked up on me.

but my tranny had no fluid in it at all and i made about 40 miles.

Back