• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise at idle

mowfixer

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
I am new to this forum and look forward to being able to get information on my 1999 Explorer Sport 2WD 4.0L with 110,000 miles.

I have had this vehicle for about two years and it has always had a whine that seems to be under the car. It happens in or out of gear and changes in pitch as your change engine idle speed. It kind of reminds me of my old Chevy powerslide transmission noise if any of you have heard one of those old beasts.

I took it to the dealer and had the transmission fluid changed and flushed. They said the noise was nothing to worry about. I guess I should believe them since those money grubbers would love nothing else than to have me rebuild the tranny.

What do you experts out there think. Anything else that might make that noise?

I do not hear it while driving and the tranny shifts smoothly with no obvious problems. Maybe time to unload her before I am stuck with $2500 repairs.

Thanks

Gary

prob. the power steering pump.

Right!

I never assumed it was under the hood but I noticed whine changed as I turned steering wheel. It quits after it warms up. I guess from what I have read PS Pump may be on the way out.

Thanks!

Back