• Register Today It's free!

Whining or winding sound in back

calylove

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mounty V8/ '92 XLT
Hey guys new to the forum and the EX life. I have 91 XLT and it is great shape and runs like a champ. I notice one thing that has me stumped. When the truck is running I hear a winding sound. Almost like a small electric motor coming from back and under somewhere near the rear driver wheel. Any ideas on what it could be. Like I said, it is running great but the sound has me a little concerned. Thanks for your help and great job on the site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

winding sound

sounds like your fule pump. My old Ex made a similar to what you discribed. Turn your ignition to where your dash lights turn on, but do not turn the key to start the engine, you should here a similar sound for a few seconds. My fule pump made this noise, never had any problems with it.

Agreed, has to be the fuel pump.

same here...mine is whining like no ones business...its eventually going to go out. you could replace it and avoid a no start or the truck leaving you stranded. or you could be like me and let it go until it stops working. :-D

I had the same problem with my '91's pump, I let it go for a couple months, then it went from a whine to a huge bass sound, figured it was on its last leg, replaced it, problem solved.

Back