Whirling noise/delay - '94 A4LD - Need some help and advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whirling noise/delay - '94 A4LD - Need some help and advice

gloomis

Reaction score
City, State
Camden, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 EB & '96 Ranger XLT
Hello again my friends, I've got another '94 that I'm having transmission troubles with.
And again, I need some advice and help from the experts out there.

This one is a '94 EB 2wd with 218K miles on it. The one in the picture there. <
I call this one "Black" - easiest way for friends and family to understand which is which when you have multiple ones.
Owned it for about 5 years.
Last changed transmission fluid and filter (before this happened) around 200k miles.

I was driving it a couple weeks ago and notice it started running really rough, especially when it idled down at stop signs and lights - almost like it wanted to quit.
I was only a couple blocks from the house, so nursed it on it.
Once I got it parked, I revved it up a little and it began to smooth out - smoked a little, but after about a minute of running it like that, it seemed to be back to normal.
Except... there was a little whining/whirling noise coming from the transmission. It quieted down in just a short time - less than a minute or two.

I had other things to do then, so it was a couple hours before I went to drive it again.
When I went to put it into drive, I could hear a whirling noise coming from the transmission as it delayed slightly going into drive - probably only a second or two. I shifted it back into park - the same whirling noise and a slight delay. Then to reverse - same thing.
Each time I would try, you could hear the noise and it would delay slightly going into either reverse or drive.
I have never had any trouble from the transmission on this one or had any delay beyond normal.

I didn't drive it any until I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter.
The fluid had just a very slight burnt/used smell to it - nothing really bad though.
I have a temperature gauge so I know the tranny didn't overheat that night.
After I got everything back together, still doing the same thing.

I decided next to try to change the vacuum modulator - since it wasn't that expensive and since I still had the truck on my ramps.
Thought it might have pushed transmission fluid back up the vacuum line and caused it to run rough.
Got it all changed. Still whirling/whining.

Since it feels like the transmission engages after the noise and the delay, I drove it up the road to try it.
Didn't notice any problems during the trip. Seems to upshift and downshift just fine. I didn't try to do any manual shifting of it.
Only seems to make the noise and have the delay when going between park, reverse, and/or drive.

I haven't driven it much more than that. I don't want to burn something up mess something up if I can avoid it.
Done too much work on Black to just give up on it - I want my # 1 truck back.

Again, appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.
Thanks to you all in advance!

Back