Whistling noise coming from the dash when engine fan kicks in and engine hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whistling noise coming from the dash when engine fan kicks in and engine hot.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Last week I had to make a 400 mile round trip pulling 2 different trailers from NY to MD and back (one at the time obviously:) ).

The heavier was around 4000 lbs, maybe more, double axle, the lighter one going back home was a little over 3000 lbs. No issues pulling them with the v8.
It was a little more interesting since I had the torque app on my head unit so I was monitoring the engine and tranny temperatures. The engine was about 210-215 at the hottest, the tranny got to 230. Outside temp was 80-90 so it was hot.

Whenever the engine got to 215, the temp gauge would pass the mid mark by about 1-2 mm, the fan clutch would kick in into higher rpm, and the temp would drop within 2-3 seconds, so all worked as desired. That would happen usually on the hills going up. When that was happening, there was a very high pitch noise / whistling coming from the left side of the dashboard. It was annoying, but I can't tell what was making it.
It sounded like a small bearing running dry or something. I thought maybe my water pump is making that noise ?????

Anybody experienced same thing and pinpointed the source ?

Thanks

Back