White Face Gauges/LED Insturment Cluster Install (Pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White Face Gauges/LED Insturment Cluster Install (Pictures)

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Here we go....

First and foremost I followed this step-by-step tutorial on removing my gauges...VERY good info...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290&highlight=indiglo+gauge

First off, here is the 5-Way LED I ordered off of SuperBrightLEDS.com (great service, btw)

led.jpg

Ok, what I did was buy an 2001 X Sport Cluster off of Ebay ($30, woohoo) I got it, and after trying to roll the odometer back, so I could put the cluster in my truck, I gave up and decided to do what Celly had recommended, and remove the gauges with a knife, and replace the gauge overlay itself, on my old cluster....

cl6.JPG

Here are pictures explaining how I removed the original gauge overlay from the old cluster...

Basically so you know, what I did was removed the old gauges off the stock cluster, and removed the new white-face gauges off of the ebay bought cluster, and simply swapped gauges and applied them using glue. (this way I could use my stock odometer). Also, its very tricky removing the needles than re-applying them. I had to go down the road a couple of times to get my needles accurate again....

cl4.JPG

cl5.JPG

Here is the finished product (I think it turned out awesome)
cl7.JPG

And the night shot with the LEDs (It looks really good, pictures do not do it justice)
cl2.JPG

And here is the shot of my (relatively) new ride...I love it
cl3.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does the LED do? Where did you place it?

Yea, I just bought the 194 LEDs off of SuperBrightLEDs.com, and replaced them with the stock lights in the back of the cluster (I just replaced the 6 main lights)

Looks great. Glad you had better luck this time behind the cluster. ;)

I thought you had a white faced gear indicator too? Nonetheless, it still looks good.

Well done! :thumbsup:

celly said:
Looks great. Glad you had better luck this time behind the cluster. ;)

I thought you had a white faced gear indicator too? Nonetheless, it still looks good.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Yea, the Gear Indicator that came with the white cluster was faded and did not look good. I had just bought a new Gear Indicator anyways (the black one) so I went ahead and used it. Also, you notice that I used the original Black Gauge Bezel, instead of the Grey one that comes with the sport. The grey one too was faded and paint was chipping on it, so I just used the black one...

came out good! thanks for the help

-joe

King$nake said:
Also, you notice that I used the original Black Gauge Bezel, instead of the Grey one that comes with the sport. The grey one too was faded and paint was chipping on it, so I just used the black one...

came out good! thanks for the help

-joe

I had a silver bezel on my Sport and it was OK, but I do like the black better. Glad to be of service! :thumbsup:

nice job...i need to start looking into new gaugge faces my reverse glow gauges are starting to wrinkel.

I would recommend Ebay....I cant believe how cheap some of the stuff is!

yeah that were i got thme the first time...lol...30 bucks....maby ill just go for the nu-image ones.

hey, nice job! what seller or store you buy them from off ebay?

i like the reverse glow ones..
2147253_33_full.jpg

thats a really bad picture.

studd469 said:
Looks nice, too bad they dont sell white face gauges with Km/h as the main.

here is my cluster with blue LEDs http://community.webshots.com/photo/550998492/2197652680079607318vnpYTL

Scroll through my registry (link in signature line). The overlays from a '02 Sport was transplanted to my old '00 Sport in that pic, but they're now in my Eddie. OEM overlays. I scored from a boneyard in Quebec. "Dirty Dog" (member of this site) had one for sale for the longest time on eBay and here. Not sure if he still has it or not.

very nice post - thanks :thumbsup:

shweet

Congrats, that really does look well in the daytime and at night, too. How stiff are the guage faces, is it very possible to warp them while trying to pry them up? Also, did you just pull the needles off with your fingers or did you use something special to remove them? At the brightest setting, are these LEDs much more brighter than fresh regular bulbs? Sorry so many questions. Again, great job...

Back