• Register Today It's free!

White noise after deck install

964x4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I got a new, relatively inexpensive, CD player for my 96 Ex to replace the tape deck. I had some problems during the hookup and read through some posts and figured out why I wasn't getting any sound. The problem was with using the blue wire from the harness adapter and not the blue white wire to power the amp (I know, the amp sucks but I'll discuss that in a second). That being said, I've finally got sound coming through but if I mute the deck or turn the volume all the way down, there is a faint white noise that can be heard. If the deck is powered off, the noise goes away. I have taped all of my connections so I don't believe it to be ground interference. Could the stock amp be introducing this noise through the new deck? I don't have the amp by-pass adapter yet (didn't realize I needed one) so I want to know if this will fix my problem or could it be the deck (it's a cheapie, dual brand, but I just wanted to be able play CD's) that is the problem and I should get another one?

Would the radio controls in the rear be causing interference problems since they are no longer functional?

Thanks in advance for the replies...

normally tyhe white noise would just be it isn't grounded good, but becuase you have the sound being ampliified twice i would get the amp bypass kit. Then you should be good.

As mentioned by Jeff it is usually cause by the grounding. Did you ground to the factory harness? I always get a fresh one, on the cab. I'd recomend bypassing the amp as well.

Back