Show I upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show I upgrade?

91XLT

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my system in my 91 XLT. It's factory, cassette w/ volume toggle (not dial) and sub in back. All the speakers are in good condition, no audible distortion. The concern is the deck. I'd like to have CD capability. I've got a portable w/ tape adapter, but obviously that's not the best situation. So, my options, at least as I see them, are (1) use existing deck w/ portable CD and adapter; (2) add a FM-style CD changer; (3) or completely replace the deck w/ a dash-style CD player; (4) finally, add new tape w/ CD changer.

My problem is the information I've read says the replacement of the factory stereo can be quite a pain. Especially hooking up the factory amp.

Help me out... Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, replacing the deck is quite easy! I just supervised a friend who had never done it on a 91, and it took us about two hours, the two hours being watching TV half the time to just sit around and splice wires. The connection is quite straigt forward.

In regards to your options:
1) That's what I do, so far, because I like to change CDs on the fly and a 12 disk doesn't hold enough for me since I like to change them anyway. I don't like fiddling with the cartridges, but I'll prolly get one too someday.

2) FM-Style changers work pretty well, possibly better than what we have now, but you're not getting all from the CD changer, because it's going through the antennae. It's only as good as the antennae system, and you're losing frequencies through the antennae, though it may not be totally noticable.

3) Okay as long as you want to lose the tape.

4) Okay, but dual media players are VERY expensive, since it'll be compact, and it's only single din.

Check around first here: www.go2pac.com www.pie.net www.soundgate.com
and especially this one: www.radiosandmore.com

Radios and more sells OEM equipment at considerable less pricing, and maybe you can just get a factory one, and no other hassles.
One or some of those other three above sell the adapaters for between the radios and the changers, I forget. But one of those will be able to help you.

If I were you, I would REALLY go into just buying new speakers first. There may be no distortion, but the car is like ten years old, the cones have probably had it. Anyway, you can't get better sound if your speakers are still old. You might have a better sound signal, but the speakers are what will ruin it. Speakers will be a cheaper, and MUCH more noticable upgrade. New speakers will also have better highs, which are paramount to CD sound.

Good luck!

Jon

I replaced the factory cd player in my 91 EB w/ the premium sound system. I put in a new Kenwood CD player. You will need a wiring harness to bypass the amp in the back if you get an aftermarket cd player. I might be willing to sell my factory cd player. If you are interested email me and let me know.
splinter@ufl.edu

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Shoot, if you're willing to spend that much, almost anything in that range is going to sound great. If you don't mind have the people in the rear have "lesser" sound (a VERY relative opinion) If you're spending up to 300, I would instead spend 200 up front, and then 100 on the back, or something more along that ratio. Buying new, expensive rears, you won't tell a huge difference between your basic upgrade and a really expensive one, because the speakers are so low and right behind you, not to mention not really pointing your way. By the time you replace the rear sub, the rear highs will be drowned out anyway.

Go with what you really like, you may find you like the less expensive speakers better. Depending on what music you listen to, all speakers are sort of different, and they all play differently. Some play almost too crisp, some play to soft and muted. Some are more bassy and some have a lot of highs. It all depends.

If I go the speaker route, I've got a few questions. My Explorer is quite an upgrade of automobile for me. I previously drove VW Rabbits and Golfs for 8 years. So, an Exp. is quite an upgrade. I bought it used a few months ago. I'm very, very happy with it... and plan driving it for a while. So, speakers: I never did any upgrades, stereo wise, in my old VW's, didn't think the money would be well spent.

Brands: that's the real question. I'm willing to spend about $300 for all four mains.. so $150 a pair. Also, the subwoofer could need replacing, so that's another consideration. Everyone I've talked to is split on brands.

Thanks,

Chris

Back