Who Has a 3rd Gen W/ Tinted Windshield?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who Has a 3rd Gen W/ Tinted Windshield?!

Bwilliams203

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I know there are a lot of people who frown upon full windshield tinting but I know I'm not the only one who wants it... or has it. I wanna get mine done but I don't wanna go too dark so I need some pictures to compare too my 3rd gen explorer. I was thinking 35% or 40%

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I could tint my windows that dark and I personally have never felt the need to tint the front window. I do have 20% on the side windows and love it.

Yeah that's what I've got on the sides as well. I just love the idea of no one being able to see me and the windshield would do that for me haha

eh, im not a fan of the whole windshield. its too much of a hassle with the cops in my area. heck some people wont even tint the windshield.

personally i like a tint strip on the top, but thats just me

eh, im not a fan of the whole windshield. its too much of a hassle with the cops in my area. heck some people wont even tint the windshield.

personally i like a tint strip on the top, but thats just me

Yeah really do like the tint strip Mrooney. I'm leaning more towards that now haha. The cops aren't too bad around here about tint, but my luck I'd get ticket after ticket.

oh man lucky you, ive had a few friends go the whole windshield route only to get stopped and ticketed.

Well I tried to put some pictures up on this thread but it didn't work. Anyway, I ended up getting 40% on my windshield and it's really not that bad. Not so dark that I'll get pulled over, but just dark enough to make me happy.

image1_zpsvp9ssdlf.jpg

Im getting mine done Friday will update pics

Why would you want to limit your visibility out of the windshield. Put some logic into your reasoning. If you by chance hit someone, they could make a claim because of a tinted windshield. Also is there a specific reason you want to be hidden from anyone seeing you through the windshield, are you hiding from people while driving? One important aspect while driving, and from my end after going through emergency driving class with the fire department, you need to be able to make eye contact with other drivers when coming up to an intersection. Just seems like it isn't the brightest idea.

Why would you want to limit your visibility out of the windshield. Put some logic into your reasoning. If you by chance hit someone, they could make a claim because of a tinted windshield. Also is there a specific reason you want to be hidden from anyone seeing you through the windshield, are you hiding from people while driving? One important aspect while driving, and from my end after going through emergency driving class with the fire department, you need to be able to make eye contact with other drivers when coming up to an intersection. Just seems like it isn't the brightest idea.

I like my privacy. I'm not wanting to "hide" from anyone but i like my privacy and protecting from the Texas sun. I've had all my vehicles i've owned with the sides 5% tint all around and most of them with the windshield tinted.

90% of people wont never notice my windshield is tinted especially if you get into some type of wreck and plus during the day it always looks cloudy when its really sunny and at night i could not tell any difference to be honest, there maybe some change but wasn't enough for me to tell myself that i can't see....... to each their own though some dont like it some will.... ive always done it and will always keep doing it to my cars.

EdE1cy3.jpg

Heres a pic of my old Lexus with the front tinted.

Illegal in Texas.

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

BTW, does anyone know what % the factory rear privacy glass is? I'd like my front sides to match it if it's within limits.

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the side windows to the right and left of the driver if the following conditions are met.

Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.

Getting the windshield done is common around me in Michigan even though its illegal. I love the way it looks, but personally thought the same thing, it cant be safe, right? I rode in a coworkers Charger occasionally going to get lunch here and there who had 5% all around, and like one step up on the windshield (Im not sure what he said it was, but you could not see anything through from the outside still)

It was honestly very comfortable, and didn't affect clarity or anything. Honestly, I felt safer in it, headlights and streetlights had no glare, there were no reflections during the day, and rain seemed so much lighter than it was. (If that makes sense?)

Yes its illegal but here in TX "Most" cops dont care ive only gotten one window tint ticket and that was because he did want to ticket me for going 130mph+ and racing on the hwy at 3am ....

Yes its illegal but here in TX "Most" cops dont care ive only gotten one window tint ticket and that was because he did want to ticket me for going 130mph+ and racing on the hwy at 3am ....

Cops aren't the problem it's the yearly inspection that won't pass.

Cops aren't the problem it's the yearly inspection that won't pass.

Never had a problem myself, all that stuff, tires,tint,horn is a check list write off so inspector will check it passed for a few bucks ..not like i got a CEL on .....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had a problem myself, all that stuff, tires,tint,horn is a check list write off so inspector will check it passed for a few bucks ..not like i got a CEL on .....

CEL on will actually pass as long as you are not in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Houston or El Paso.

Back