• Register Today It's free!

who has bolted down theres boxes

ExplorerX91

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
im tired...of my box bouncing around and moving around as it was not made SPecially for the explorer cargo place..i would like one but didnt have the time or money to buy all the materials, etc to make it..is there anything in the way such as the gas tank ...its for 2 12s and is basically just a triangle i was thinkign just drill a whole thru the box frame, etc get some heavy duty bolts and tighten them down...anybodyt with pics??..help me out here i dont wnana go into it blind

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just do lag bolts through the bottom of the box to the body..or frame just make sure u seal the holes up really really well with some silicone

u could also use a tie down strap thats what is holding my current box in untill i get the duel box built

I use "L" brackets to secure my box to the floor. They are screwed to the floor with sheetrock screws.

instead of bolting down the box to stop it bouncing around....but could this also be done for security purposes?

My next box WILL be bolted down since the last one was stolen middle of December. I will be using brackets to bolt it down. I wouldn't drill holes through the box or anything or you mind end up changing the sound of the box (i.e. leaks in a sealed box).

lol u wont change the sound of the box just make sure its sealed..and yah bolting it down would help theft just use those screws on the subs that u have to drill out

i forget what they are..if u use brakets on the outside of the box it wont be that strong plus the people stealing it will be able to see them..if u use 4 lag bolts from the sinde of the box they will never get it out =)

You all are thinking about this too much. My ghetto setup has a bungie over the top of the box with the ends connected to the tie downs. It works great and I can take the box out easily if I need to haul somthing back there.

I have a sub tube and one bungee cord works great... not much for appearance though. I hook it to the metal hooks

well sometimes u want it to look good and be functional.......

I have a ten inch sub box. I did something a little different tho`.

I drilled a hole in the back of the box about an inch up at center (enough to clear the wood on bottom) Then with the sub speaker out, I ran some chain inside the hole, leaving most of it outside and only about four links inside. I drilled another hole through the box and bolted the end of the chain in place, about 3 inches above the exit hole. I squirted some sealant to make sure the hole around the chain was well sealed.

Then I cut an x in the carpet on the hinged part that folds up with the seats, directly at the point that the chain comes out the hole when it was pushed up against the back of my seat (my speaker box sits behind the passenger side rear seat). I drilled out a hole to allow the chain to be fed through the metal hinged part then I undid one of the seat belt bolts that are there, and put the bolt through the end link of a smaller section of chain, and bolted it back together.

Then I did some adjustments to the lengths of chain until I could just get a security lock on it, so it would be held in place firmly enough.

Not only does this now cover me for insurance puposes (It must be secured) but it is easily removable, AND I can make a little extra cargo room by folding the seats down and turning the box around while pushing it forward.
If need be, I can quickly unlock the sucker and bring it in the house.

The only negative part is cutting the x hole in the carpet, but it is barely noticable.

so u have a gaping hole in the abck f ur box with a chain sticking out?? how did u seal around the chain?

lol, I wouldn`t call it a gaping hole. I sealed it with some caulking type sealant we use at work, not like bathtub calking, but thicker, the name eludes me. I could have just bolted the chain to the box somewhere I guess, but I wanted it to not be too obtrusive. Maybe I`ll take some pics today and post them tomorrow..

ah ok..that sounds good i just thought u cut a hole a left it lol..but the chain should have sealed up most the hole =)

i dont have terminals in teh back of my box yet so its just a hole with wires through and some silicone =) ghetto fabbed to the 9s lol

Okay, here`s some pics of what I did. Basically I wanted to be able to take the sub out with minimum hassle when I wanted to transport stuff, or when I go camping and want to sleep in the back. Bolting it down was not an option. The wires are long enough to let me sit the sub on the front passenger seat when I`m parked for camping. The amp is under the back seat passenger side. Also this allows me to claim it under my insurance as secured to the vehicle if it should be ripped off.

This pic shows the chain exiting the box and going through the hinged panel, also you can see the connectors that I can easily undo if I have to get it out of there. (I always pull the fuse at my amp to avoid shorting out the wires)
The nut you see is where the chain is fastened down, if you tried undoing the nut it would just start spinning when it loosened because that is actually the end of the bolt, with the nut on the inside.

Attachments

• woofmount1.jpg
    woofmount1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 236

Here`s where it hooks up with a padlock, with the seatbelt bolt utilized as the hold down for the other length of chain.

Attachments

• woofmount2.jpg
    woofmount2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 229

thats looks good...i dont think i have ever seen anyone think of that

if i had to take my box out i would deffinantly do something like that...i dont want to take the box out since itl probably be 200lbs lol :( poor car

thanks for showing us the pics dude

awsome idea with the chain....i will have to do that to my box...if you dont mind me stealing your idea :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have another way u could "secure" your subs...start by buyiing 2 9500 15s..the ones that weigh 70lbs each..then build a 1.5"thick mdf box weighing in at 200lbs....id like to see them gank that outa the back and run =) lol

Back