Who makes the best chip and do they work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who makes the best chip and do they work?

John J

Reaction score
Which chip? Jet, Hypertech, Superchip. Do they really add 10%+ in HP and torque? I don't want to waist $200+.
Thanks, JJ

Well, I don't know if it is the best, but I have a Superchips chip and it does increase power. I'm skeptical about a 10% increase, but it is a definate improvement. How do I know this? Same hill at 55 mph without the chip required dropping out of overdrive, while OD held its speed with the chip. It's all seat of the pants for me, as I haven't dyno'd it, but there is an improvement in acceleration.

My $.02!

John, what year Explorer do you have? Also, are you planning or have you done any mods besides the chip? I have a Hypertech and like it a lot. It seems to adapt to the other mods I have, but many say that you should get a custom calibrated Superchip if you have other mods. However, the Hypertech chip does allow you to run 89 octane if you really need to (sacrificing the gains, but not pinging).

My suggestion: Hypertech. $195 from Autozone.
If you do decide on a Superchip, though, get it through Smartyparts, they have a good deal with forum members.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh, the chip will really be good for you if you have an automatic due to changed shift points.

Chippies

If you search on "Jet Chip" you'll get an earful and an eyeful. Hypertech only makes 'em for a few years and models of Explorer, Superchip seems to be the fav. I got my Superchip in August and the shift points and engagement feel needed work. Since I got mine right from a dealer who burnt it himself, I didn't get any instructions, warranty info, nuthin'. My emails to Superchips? Unanswered. The dealer said a month ago they were working on the dyno feverishly to come up with the right set of instructions and they would burn a new one for free. I paid $250. Chris at Smartyparts (search) will sell to borad members for $175. Good Luck.

Back