who rebuilds auto hubs ?

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
tried a few different auto hubs but kept breaking the spindles inside the hubs
.... untill i changed out my universal joints ( bfh)on the front axels there was too much pressure on the hubs they were snapping the hub cam spindle that holds the sprocket

you can take out the hum sprocket /cam via the small snap ring down by the bearing but to the most part the nylon washer that holds the wave spring on these guys is a little toasted on most of these also and time for rebuilding

i read in some post that someone does rebuild these but wondering if its possible to rebuild them when the posts are snapped off at the base ???

id like a working set of autos for cruising switching to manual is no problem

hard to find those mod washers also :salute:

yea i know what you mean its made to explode he ha just at times putting into gear with no real gas to it to test a few hubs after hearing noises come from the hub continually it turned out to be the u joints that needed replacing i replaced them with moog oil fitting type usually 1 axis of the joint is frozen so inspect both axis of the joint which is easyer with the axel out made a mistake at a junk yard getting an axel that had a stiff one both my fronts were frozen the same way

they take quite a pounding to get out or you can use a heavy press if your lucky we used a a sledge to pound on a big ballpin hammer against the joints after some time they will break free

you may experience mysterious steering bind while in dips or tight turning and thumping noises grinds growls without changing these highly advisable.... i havnt been off road yet with the truck but have been going through the tuneups and mods here on explorer forum im ready for a dry run i guess but have to assume that the transphere case and pumpkin are up for a run

I want the auto's because there is the idea of slick rainfall here in florida and want the auto 4x4 to hit in case of downpour or flash flood conditions I can always go back and wallow

let me know if you find a link or know of someone who fixes these hubs becouse id rather drive with them on then the lockers

Back