Whos running what tire and why? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whos running what tire and why?

I'd like to see what tire everyone is running, I'm having a tough decision on what tire to get next. I'm looking at 31-10.50-15's. I'd also like to hear what you've run and wouldn't get again. I was looking at the goodyear wrangler silentarmors but some ppl have been saying stay away from GY. I do alot of highway driving and given the nature of my job, I need something thats good in rain, snow and ice. I like to hit the trails once in a while too. Whos running BFG all terrains? Thanks for the imput.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm saying a lot of people just skip from 31 to 33 when they lift their trucks, because 31 to 32 is not a dramatic difference. I didn't exclusively say "TT and shackles" either, i said "lift."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

:thumbsup::thumbsup:I have the Goodyear wrangler silent armor tires and first of all let me say WOW!!! in snow there fantastic, on dry and wet roads there amazing and in hte mud they have out performed my previous tires i have owned. Oh did i mention there super quiet too.

I will never buy Bfgoodrich Allterrains again due to cost, and i have also owned the Dueler Revo and they are okay but the goodyears are WAY BETTER.

My Ex is mostly stock so i don't extreem offroad, how ever i have hit some knarly trails, and fairly deep mud, so i know they work. As for the snow it came up to the ford emblem on my front grill so how ever deep that is thats how much snow i drove it through.

As a side note this tire does have the mountain and snow flake symbol given to it to verify its snow ability.

31x10.50" BFGoodrich A/Ts on Crager steelies. Why? I can barely hear them on the highway. The tread wear is from what I read at least 55-60,000 miles. Great on and off the road. I mostly drive on light mud/dirt/snow and gravel. The tread doesn't clog up too bad. Oh, and did I mention they are very quiet for an A/T tire?

-Der Netzhauptmann

General Grabber AT2

I just bought the general grabber AT2 tires (31x10.5x15) for my AWD mountaineer. They fit perfect with no trimming or lift. I drove through rainy weather and puddle filled roads yesterday with no hydroplaning. Today we had 8 inches of snow and these tires just keep plowing through it. I actually was behind a semi truck and a trailblazer going uphill on a service drive this morning when they both got stuck. I went around them off of the road with no problems. The tires are a little noisy from 25-45, but from what I've read online that will get better as they wear a little. For the price you can't beat this tire. Much better than my old michelin ltx a/t's.

Well I ended up going with the GY Wrangler Silent armours, hopefully I won't be disappointed. I'm getting them mounted up on Friday.

Well I ended up going with the GY Wrangler Silent armours, hopefully I won't be disappointed. I'm getting them mounted up on Friday.

GOOD CHOICE you won't be dissapointed I liked them and so will you

:salute::salute:GOODYEAR:salute::salute:

So far I love the tires, I only have a few hundread miles on them but they ride great. Performed pretty well in the rain as well, hopefully I'll get to test the snowflake rating on the side sometime soon.

Good choice. I have them on my 5.0 as well. They're tons of fun off road, especially snow covered off road areas. They are decent on muddy areas but Snow and rain is where they really shine at! I seriously drive past anyone on rainy days because its hard to tell the road is even wet when other people are probably going 5-10 mph under the speed limit. :thumbsup: I just had them roated as well.

i have 31x10.5 r15 definity dakota A/T's. I got them at pepboys because I needed tires badly, wanted something I can use offroad, but didn't have the most money. It ended up costing me under $500 for all 4 installed w/ road hazard warranty. They are actually great tires on and off the road and i would definately recommend them. :thumbsup:

I used to own a 99 sport with rock crawler wheels and Yokohama Geolander AT II 31/1050/15. Never got to take them off road but they were very good on the highway. Several times on wet roads I tried to spin the tires and failed every time, so I would say they have EXCELENT wet traction. I will most likley put them in my 01 xls.

Here is a pic of the tire I had.

http://www.thetirerak.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/GeolandarAT2.jpg

Back