Why D30 is used for SAS but..... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why D30 is used for SAS but.....

Wannabe are you from U-Haul?? hahaha.

You think towing with an Ex is bad how about a 20' Bayliner that weighs 4000# with a BII on 6" lift and 33's?
Please tell me how you feel about that?

I would like to hook up the boat and drive down to the local U haul place and ask them about renting a trailer :)
damn haters........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

roflmao
that's funny. we should all do that. drive up towing some huge ass rig / boat and everyone goes to the front desk and ask to rent a trailer.
i can see their eyes pop out.
better yet, have an xj or other suv on the trailer. lol.

That doesn't sound good either.

Well I am living proof that it can be done , safely and reliably for the cost of rebuilding the entire truck!!! (hahaha less then I spent on the boat!)

I may change my screen name to UHAULSUX.......

Originally posted by Hokie
This is for his XJ. But yes, I say go for an 8.8 also

Also, only MJ's had the option of D44's and that was only in the early '90's They are pretty rare

Not true, there were XJs (really rare) that had a D44 rear.

That doesn't sound good either.

Ohhhh, don't go there....:nono:

Okay, now that I am on the right page..............:D

I wouldn't tow another SUV with the X. Some may say it is okay, but I wouldn't. Something smaller like a YJ would be okay, but no XJ.

Remember, when you hear Jeepers talk about D30s, they may be referring to two different axles. A HP, RC D30, like in your XJ, is a stronger axle than a LP D30, such as in a TJ (estimate is about 30% stronger). It is a common swap for them to go from LPs to HPs.

As Hokie mentioned earlier, most Jeepers recommend alloy axle shafts if running around 35" tires. I don't believe the XJ uses the two-piece passenger shaft, so that is good if you choose to stick with stock shafts (I may be wrong about that). Most agree to not go to a gear ratio lower than 4.56, some actually say 4.10. The R&P in a D30 is just tiny.

The good thing about the Jeep is the aftermarket is FULL of lift kits for whatever you want to do. I would do the research into exactly want you want, then keep your eye on eBay. There are more Jeep kits on there than you could shake a stick at! Coils, pitman arms, trac bars, whatever...........it is all there, and cheap. Keep an eye on the Jeep Forum classifieds also. A lot of guys that have swapped up to beefier axles sell off their older stuff real cheap.

When researching lift kits, axle swaps, and stuff like that, I have found the best way of doing it is this. Look through every website you can possibly find until you come across a rig like yours with the strength, manners, and capabilities that you would like to see in your truck. Then just copy the hell out of them!;) There is no reason to spend, the time, effort, and money to try to invent a new way of doing it. Take as much free advice as you can from others that have been where you are now. ;)

okay, I am rambling, enough for now.................

ps: I do still have a set of Warn D30 alloy shafts available. I am not sure of the exact measurements of the XJ axles, so I am not sure if you can use them. But, if you can determine that YJ and XJ shafts are the same, I got them.

The YJ and XJ axles are virtually the same. Most XJs did have the one piece passenger side axle. All the newer D30s from the YJ, XJ, MJ, WJ, ZJ and TJ use the same axle. The Grands had a CV style front axle so that's no good for swapping.

when i go pickup the jeep wednesday, i take picture of the shaft and u guys tell me. i am new to 4x4, only used to 2x4. :)
so, all the help is greatly appreciated. that is why i like this forum

Back