Why does my 4 cylinder have 8 spark plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does my 4 cylinder have 8 spark plugs?

thecrewdan

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi everyone,
This is Dan in Portland, Or
New owner 91 Ranger. Had front end damage, first time I opened the hood I noticed it was a 4 cly. after getting the damaged parts out of the way I noticed it had 8 spark plugs ?
I have done some investigating have found out it is a 2.3 liter w/ohc.
But not way it has 8 plugs.
So why doe's it have 8 plugs?
Then I saw a picture of an older 2.3 I think from the late 70s or 80s. it had a real distributor and a carburetor.
I started thinking if you took all the new fancy stuff off down to the bare engine, would I find a port for a distributor? Could I put a carburetor on it ?
i have a 1962 ford pick up with a 292/ 8 cly. I under stand it.
Is there somewhere to get the history of 2.3 engine ?
Or exploded views. I am so confused ???
I like to understand what I have and how it works, So I can repair it when needed.
Thanks for or time and any information..
Dan AKA thecrewdan

...Welcome here...:D

...The first thing you might want to do to get started is, pick up a Haynes manual from your local auto parts store...This will give you a lot of basic info about your vehicle and it will let you get better related with your 2.3L...

...The motor is more fuel efficient as four of the plugs provide spark for the gnition to run the engine, the other four fire into the exhaust gases to burn as much fumes as they can. This helps the EPA rating and to burn off excess unburnt fuel...

...This has a brief history of the Ford Ranger and it's engines...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229456

...The 2.3L OHC engine was first put in a production Ford in 1974...This was installed in the Ford Pinto....

Back