why i love my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

why i love my explorer

ezrider440

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0
i recently had to take a 300 mile drive upstate and i had the explorer loaded down with about 700 pounds of materials and a passengers, i held between 75-80 all the way there and back getting nearly 20 miles to the gallon, i was smoking everyone in the right line with easy, note that i was loaded down and the truck stayed level didn't bounce around, which all means with a little imagination and elbow grease they are very very dependable and useful trucks, mine has 92k on it , and i did very little work to it, i put a roller valvetrain in the 5.0, f150 leaf springs in the rear, regreased the entire belt system, and regular maintenance, if you take care of their chronic illnesses they are awesome trucks and all of you 4x4 and awd guys throw your front axles and transfer cases out, a 2wd explorer will get you anywhere you'll ever need to go, i have gotten through 2 foot high snows, ice, mud, rivers and lakes, all you need a little driving experience not a front axle. She flies down the freeway at 80 only the wind noise at 2300 rpm with the a/c and 20 miles to the gallon ! eat that honda!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you like it. 2wd's will get you quite a few places....but i'm not going places i "NEED" to go haha :). The 5.0 is a really good engine though, and the trannys are pretty decent to..unlike us 1st gen guys haha

I love my 5.0 as well. But I would like to see you get out of my driveway with snow on it. :D

My underware has melted to my a$$ and Todd is talkin' about snow :rolleyes:

i can get 20 mpg in my 92 at 70 to 75 mph.

has 128,000 on the clock and runs great.

with snow chains even though they are illegal in my state i can get anywhere anyone will ever need to go, recently last winter we had that big blizzard and i have to drive through it even though the snow plows weren't able to clean the roads, snow chain in the rear, michilen rubber and some extra weight in the back, at 15 or 20 miles per hours i made it throught 2 feet of snow, while the yahoos who got all excited and turned on their 4x4 for the first time blazed by me, i caught up with them down the road while they were in ditches and on their sides. dont get me wrong having the 4x4 is a great option but 9 out of 10 people don't know how to properly use it and 9 out of 10 never need to use it. sure if you live in the middle of a swamp or go constantly off roading it comes in handy but then you are looking at more of off road truck rather than highway or street. All i am saying is that an experienced driver on and off road and get by with the 2wd, but consider how much lighter the truck is? consider the gas you save? how much lighter the steering is? how the tranny doesn't have as much of a load? its a dam shame the 2wd option is rare to find especially the 5.0 , my truck is part of a 300 series ever made with the high output 5.0, think about, i could be wrong

Back