• Register Today It's free!

why is clutch pedal so stiff?

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I've got a '91 XLT 4x4 with a 5 spd. Why is the clutch pedal so hard to push? My leg starts to cramp if I have to hold the pedal down for any length of time. It's like trying to kick-start a DC10. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, but is there a way to soften it? FWIW, I don't remember the clutch in my '92 Mustang GT being anywhere near this hard.

thanks.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder?

The clutch in my mom's ex was super stiff. It all went away when the clutch and slave cylinder were changed. But my clutch is much stiffer than my moms and its brand new too. I think that there might be a difference between the 92 and 93 years.

I remember a while back there was a thread about someone having a really hard clutch pedal... dont remember what the outcome was... search around some.

The clutch pedal on my 94 got much softer after I changed the slave cylinder in connection with a clutch replacement. I'm not sure why, but that made a huge difference.

The way these things are bled, stiff is a good thing.

I'd get worried if it went soft.

It's a common thing in the explorers. We have an explorer that has had a stiff clutch since about 50,000 miles. It has 135,000 miles now.

Back