Wicked Windsor's D44 Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wicked Windsor's D44 Swap

Took 4 months but 1/2 that time was waiting for more $ to come in to finish up.

Again with mods, I had to go the unbeaten path to see what works and what doesn't. Fortunately for me, this worked out well with no kinks I can think of.

- Low Pinion Dana 44 from 2001 Dodge Ram shortened to use Wagoneer left & right inner shafts with stock Ram outer shafts.

The good

- Stock Ram Dual piston calipers 12" rotors
- Chrome moly inner axle shafts
- Low pinion chunk with great clearance to frame
- Sealed hubs, 4x4 on demand, no more regreasing bearings, nut torquing etc.
- Custom Radius arm design allowing me to unbolt passenger upper arm for 3 link radius arm or wristed arm setup for more articulation.

The Bad

- Sealed hubs, no more manual lockouts & driveshaft rotates full time (I don't care).

The ugly

- Another expensive mod that was not necessary.

I need to get it on the RTI ramp. This was as high as I could get it unsafely for now.
a01.jpg

Track bar is stock TJ rear, Tie rod is '95 Ram, Drag link is '96 E150, all 1" diameter stock!
a02.jpg
a03.jpg

Ballistic Fabrication to the rescue!
DSCF5655.jpg

What the 2001 Dodge RAM axle looked like when I got it home from the wreckers 71 1/4" WMS to WMS !!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCF5245.jpg

After I shortened it cutting off inner "C's" and rewelding back on. Made block off plate since I'm not using CAD, I have one piece inner shaft!
DSCF5656.jpg

Brackets on and ready to go
DSCF5832.jpg

DSCF5830.jpg

2" - 1/4" wall DOM Lower links
1 3/4" - 1/4" wall DOM upper links
Ballistic joints on frame end
DSCF6422.jpg

Tranny and link mount
a04.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have any issues welding your 2" DOM to the Ballistic bushings? From the dimensions I found says the weldable area is 1.85" wide.

I've got 4" to the inner C weld and 4 1/4" to the inner C (weld is 1/4" thick.
My Ballistic fab brackets are 3" from outside edge to outside edge wide.
Also to consider, I angled my brackets so the control arms would angle in as they get closer to the frame. I think this is the propper way to mount the brackets. I've seen people mount axle brackets perpendicular to the axle but to me that puts too much side load stress on them.
You can kind of see the angle and where I mounted them here.
DSCF5830.jpg

As far as rubbing goes, I have slight rubbing at full lock on the lower arms but I am going to install steering stops soon to prevent that.

Lower control arms - 30" bolt eye to bolt eye
Upper control arms - 15.5" bolt eye to bolt eye

Is it 4 1/4" to the inner C on the passenger side and driver side? And what year Waggy shafts did you use? Thanks in advance

any more details on your dodge master cylinder?

like what year and all it was off of?

and the lines really just screwed right in?

any more details on your dodge master cylinder?

like what year and all it was off of?

and the lines really just screwed right in?

Would like to know more about this as well, but seeing has he hasn't replied for a long time, we might not find out more :scratch:

I cant tell if the line connector sizes are the same or dif than each other on those masters. I was wondering if it would apply to a 2nd gen brake lines or not. :dunno:

Back