Wider tires on Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wider tires on Ex?

jupiterak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB V8 4x4
I'm looking for a wider tire. I've got 235/65/18's and looking at a 255/60/18 which is almost identical in size except wider. Anyone with pics of wider tires on their 06+ Ex? Anyone with 265's or 275's on stock rims?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put 275/60/17 on the stock rims. I personaly like the look. It gives it a nicer stance

no i don't but i could take some tomorrow

What width are the stock rims?

Here's an old pic of a 265/70/r17 on a stock rim 03... the width, eh... wider rims bring out the width real nice :D even on stock tires.

are you trying to fill the wheel well, just want a wider tire or both?

I'm going for a wider tire. Both the 255/60/18 and 275/55/18 are about the same size as original. The mickey mouse 235's look was too skinny.

Ha! I hear ya... the rim width makes all the difference. I have another pic of this tire on the same vehicle, wider rim.

Well, I didn't find a good shot... but here is the BFG AT and the Mickey MT... 265/70/r17

here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSC02624.jpg
    DSC02624.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,516
  • DSC02625.jpg
    DSC02625.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,527
  • DSC02626.jpg
    DSC02626.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,555
  • DSC02627.jpg
    DSC02627.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,514

Damn, I'm jealous. How those Toyo's handle in the rain and do you have any rubbing?

Damn, I'm jealous. How those Toyo's handle in the rain and do you have any rubbing?

It's pretty good in the rain but could be a little better.
Not even close to rubbing. In fact there looks to be enough room to go one size bigger.

I'm looking for a wider tire. I've got 235/65/18's and looking at a 255/60/18 which is almost identical in size except wider. Anyone with pics of wider tires on their 06+ Ex? Anyone with 265's or 275's on stock rims?

I just did the Toyo Proxes like above on my 08 limited with 18" rims. I went with 275/55/18. Paid 130 per tire from Town Fair Tire. Much better on dry roads, and really changes the look of the whole truck.

I have the same wheels, any pics? $130 is a incredible price, cheapest up here is $210 each :(

I have the same wheels, any pics? $130 is a incredible price, cheapest up here is $210 each :(

You can get them from this site http://www.wheelsforless.com/search_result.asp?manufacturer=Toyo&Product_ID=st for $130.10 with just under $100 shipping for all 4 tires. You might have to pay a bit more for the mounting when you bring them someplace but you will still save a ton of money. Most places are like car dealerships and you can drive down their price. Town Fair Tire is a place that will match any online place as long as they have a website so that you can prove the price. Call around and tell them what you can get them for and see if they bite.

Kevin

I wish shipping was that cheap. Living in AK costs me an arm and leg. Every place I check online quoted me $300+ for shipping four tires. Awesome pics.

I checked out Town Fair Tire and wheelsforless and submited a price. Best price I've seen online is onlinetires.com but shipping is $361.

They look so much better.... The sidewalls are taller as well?

The sidewalls are like 1/8 shorter then stock on a tire calculator but since they are wider the rim sits in more making it look like they are taller. I did not measure stock vs these so it may be the same or taller since different companies sizes are a bit different sometimes. The tires make it look like more of a sport SUV.

Has anyone tried fitting a 265/60/18 on the stock 18" rims? The local tire shop said it would rub but I'm hesitant on believing their statement based on an assumption.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think those would fit no problem. I know I still have more room with the wheel cut all of the way. You are only talking 1/2 taller then stock.

Back