Shelby tuning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shelby tuning

I thought you guys would be interested in this. I contacted a potential customer which had a Shelby 500 sitting outside of his business. A few days later he contacted me to come on down and talk. After talking to him, he informs me that he has a couple of Shelby's. WOW, went out back to where the hardtop was parked that day and there were two Shelby 500's (hard top and soft top), both owned by the same guy. After tuning the hardtop on the dyno I got an opportunity to tune the soft top as well. Fortunately the same tunefile will work for both cars as they are both stock (same as came off the showroom floor). Here is the Shelby 500 dyno!

Please remember that this is a bone stock Shelby 500. No mods whatsoever were made. Not even the air silencer was removed for dyno tuning. I was wanting to show the ability of the tuning. This car (hard top) is fixing to go under the knife and will see around a 150hp increase very soon. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 1st and Last comparo-stock.jpg
    1st and Last comparo-stock.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 650
  • Shelby 500 final dyno tune.jpg
    Shelby 500 final dyno tune.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 631
  • Truck pics 019.jpg
    Truck pics 019.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 621
  • Truck pics 020.jpg
    Truck pics 020.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 626

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More pics

Attachments

• Truck pics 024.jpg
    Truck pics 024.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 650
  • Truck pics 023.jpg
    Truck pics 023.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 605
  • Truck pics 022.jpg
    Truck pics 022.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Truck pics 021.jpg
    Truck pics 021.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 622

And more pics

Attachments

• Truck pics 026.jpg
    Truck pics 026.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 612
  • Truck pics 027.jpg
    Truck pics 027.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 602

That is a pretty good gain considering those things are already tuned for 93 octane from the factory; let alone on a truly bone stock vehicle. Something that is not easily measured that is taken care of in the tuning for the GT500's is the TBW. That is a very big sore spot for all of us owners of TBW vehicles. Overall I bet that guy was very happy.

TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT, TT!!! :D Just my twocents.

The parrot has spoken! :salute:

The very first tune I wrote before we went to the dyno was the drive by wire. Nothing else and this guy was overwhelmed by the responsiveness of just the throttle. This was initially the determination of him getting the soft top tuned as well.

Cool beans!

Forgive my lack of understanding-but I would think in today's age of fast processors and fuel injector pulses, a simple throttle position sensor feedback should be faster then the mechanical version--Why is there a problem?

Cool beans!

Forgive my lack of understanding-but I would think in today's age of fast processors and fuel injector pulses, a simple throttle position sensor feedback should be faster then the mechanical version--Why is there a problem?

TPS feedback is not the problem. Heck the regular throttle cable'd TB's have that same TPS also. The problem with TBW is that your foot is not directly hooked to that TB anymore. The signal from the gas pedal more or less sends a request to the PCM asking it to allow more throttle angle. Then the PCM decides to take a nice little cat nap while thinking about this and finally decides to get off its butt and do its job and provide more voltage to the little motor controlling the throttle blade and allow it to open more. In laymens terms, with TBW you are not really commanding the vehicle, just sort of suggesting it and the PCM has the final say.

I believe the reason why manufacturers have went to TBS is that it allows them to tune the vehicle in such a way to prevent much abuse on the drivetrain. That is a big help when they are trying to save money from preventing warranty work within a vehicle's powertrain warranty.

There are other reasons why TBW exists, but in my opinion I believe that to be the biggest one.

Wow, that's nice. Good job James.

Thanks Guys for the response. Although not an Explorer I thought it would generate some interest.
Jon, If you were to look at the drive by wire tuning you will see that Ford doesn't command a wot schedule at lower rpms and also there are several tables which display max sheduled torque, which these #'s are set really low. With the tuning I command the throttle to open wot at lower rpm's if commanded and increase the commanded torque as well. So the vehicle will feel completely different with just a throttle change and no other tuning. Add this on top of what Rob explained already, the computer actually does have 100% say so in your throttle body position. Just because your commanding WOT doesn't mean you will get it. After I am done you will. This is how I sold the guy on the initial tuner. Was the drive by wire changes.-j

Tuned the hardtop this past Friday evening again. JLT cold air & tuning=509.3 hp and 470.0 Torque! Up from the 485.3 hp and 463.9 Torque! 24HP and 6.1 Torque increase with just a cold air intake. The owner is very satisfied with the results

Nice...

Lemme toss another dyno sheet at you to drool over. This is from one of our Mach 1 members in Maryland. He has a supercharged 5.4 in his Mach. Had it down at our crab run last summer, and it's unfrigginbelievable!!

The wiggles in the dyno were his car spinning the tires on the dyno....:eek: The high set is his race tune, the low set is his street tune...

DYNO.JPG

Nice...

Lemme toss another dyno sheet at you to drool over. This is from one of our Mach 1 members in Maryland. He has a supercharged 5.4 in his Mach. Had it down at our crab run last summer, and it's unfrigginbelievable!!

The wiggles in the dyno were his car spinning the tires on the dyno....:eek: The high set is his race tune, the low set is his street tune...

DYNO.JPG

Running a 150 shot of nitrous too hey? Nice.

Yep..here's the short list of what he's got in the car.

5.3 liter 322.4 cu.in. Big Bore Stroker
M.&M. Torque Arm , M.&M. Panhard Bar
Eilbach pro-kit w/anti-roll kit
TKO 600, Spec Super Twin ,PST C.F.D.S
Strange 31 spline axles w/3:73
F1R Procharger w/Cog Set-up 23psi
Magnafuel 750 -10AN Feed -8AN Return
Kooks LTS,3" Custom CB and X pipe
200 Direct Wet w/MSD window switch & controller
Big Stuff 3 w/Gen. 3 Pro EFI system

Oftentimes "wiggles" in the dynograph will also indicate detonation. A simple way to determine this is also look for small puffs of black smoke from the tailpipe. -j

What type of 5.4 does he have swapped in? The most common is a Navigator. Still sooooooo impressive. 878hp for the street, hmmmm. I wouldn't race anyone. With that much power I would be afraid that everyone would beat me. LOL. Just kidding.

Oftentimes "wiggles" in the dynograph will also indicate detonation. A simple way to determine this is also look for small puffs of black smoke from the tailpipe. -j

What type of 5.4 does he have swapped in? The most common is a Navigator. Still sooooooo impressive. 878hp for the street, hmmmm. I wouldn't race anyone. With that much power I would be afraid that everyone would beat me. LOL. Just kidding.

Actually, it's not a 5.4 (my mistake in the first post) it's a 5.3 big bore stroker that was done from his original 4.6 Mach motor:eek:. Long block was built by AHM performance..

Actually, it's not a 5.4 (my mistake in the first post) it's a 5.3 big bore stroker that was done from his original 4.6 Mach motor:eek:. Long block was built by AHM performance..

I noticed the 5.3 in the modlist posted up. I knew that you meant it was a big bore stroker based off the 4.6 motor.

Back