• Register Today It's free!

Will not rev past 3000 rpms

Big-E

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
After much searching I am stumped. I have a 97 XLT with the 4.0 SOHC motor and since i swapped out cracked T-state housing last night truck will not rev over 3000 rpms.. Usually its maxing out around 2500 rpms. This is with load in gear driving down the road and in P or N. (auto trans) - I have tested AFM and it tests out good. I drove car down to Advanced to pull codes (check engine light on) and it was coding for MAP sensor. Learning from this site truck really doesn't have a MAP sensor and when i disconnected the sensor on drivers side valve cover right next to dip stick no change happens.

I also notice no change happens when i disconnected the camshaft position sensor (in drivers side valve cover (closest to front of valve cover)) As of right now I am thinking it could be this but have no idea why it would fail after about 90 mins of the truck being parked to when i replaced part and put back together. It has 177,000 on it right now and i have owned it since around 70 and change.

If anyone could please shed some light on this let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Big-E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAF tests good and i swapped with another MAF from another explorer. Same condition. Ran up to autozone to have codes pulled. Only 2 show.. O2 sensor ( i got a bad downstream one) and the CAM sensor. Cam sensor makes sense since it controls timing. Should be in by 1 so i will find out then.

Will post once she can get above 3 k again :)

Update - Replaced camshaft sensor and now i got another 1000 rpms out of her before hitting limiter. It will now rev to 3500/3800 rpms before limiter gets activated. Any other ideas?

At least the truck is drivable in its current condition!!

Thanks.

Another update.. It appears the variable intake system (VIS) was sticking for some reason. I lubed that up and now she will rev up past 4k in while driving and in neutral. It still hits a "cut off around" 4200/4500 rpms (this is driving.) This really baffles me from changing the hermostat-Housing would cause all of this. Strange!!!

Big-E

Back