Will you help me understand my emissions test? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will you help me understand my emissions test?

hondakillah

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
I failed emissions the other day, and I was wondering if you all could help me understand these. I've done some reading here, and from other threads changed my O2 sensors and my DPFE (EGR). I changed the DPFE, after doing tests, cus I got a code for the EGR not closing.

When I first saw these readings I thought I needed a new cat (I'm assuming the one under the rig is stock), and no codes popped up.

After I got back home, I installed 2 new O2 sensors and received codes for left bank running lean and EGR not closing. Now with the new DPFE and a 5 mile test drive (varying speeds and RPMs), no codes once again. How long should I expect to drive before I get a code again?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Test results:
HC (PPM)
Cruise limit: 200
Cruise Emissions: 287
FAIL

Idle Limit: 220
Idle Emissions: 1388
FAIL

CO (%)
Cruise Limit: 1.5
Cruise Emissions: 6.86
FAIL

Idle Limit: 1.2
Idle Emissions: 4.88
FAIL

CO+CO2 (%)
Cruise Limit: 6
Cruise Emissions: 17.76

Idle Limit: 6
Idle Emissions: 15.28

O2 (%)
Cruise Emissions: 0.13

Idle Emissions: 1.72

RPM
Idle Emissions: 760

EDIT: On the emissions paper, it stated that the vehicle is an Auto, which I have just finished switching to a manual - still using the auto computer. I know the levels are in the extreme, but would that effect my emissions levels/limits at all?

Many of these are resulting from the engine running too rich. Appears to be at idle and cruise. I might be inclined to test fuel pressure, just to rule out a bad fuel pressure regulator.

:banghead:
Thank you for this tip. The vacuum regulator was disconnected from a vacuum source.

Back