• Register Today It's free!

Epic emissions failure.

salsacookies

Reaction score
City, State
Caldwell, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
So, I got my emissions tested today and it failed epically. CO was fine...HC was 2197 and the legal limit is 220. That was at 2500rpm. The HC at idle was 1177. Odometer reads 118685, so it's definitely got some miles on it. Spark plugs and wires are about a year old and just got an oil/oil filter change yesterday. Code reads were 1 1 1 under the hood and 543 with the ignition. Any ideas on what might be wrong with it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea but a good option... move to a state that doesnt have emmission laws.... :p:

I know thats not an option just screwin with you.... good luck

it's not even our state. it's two counties in the state that have emissions laws. i really don't even think we need it. there aren't many factories out here that put out emissions(unlike Illinois where i grew up) Canyon county and ada county in Idaho are the only counties in the state that have emissions laws and the government vehicles are refusing to do it.

Sounds like you may have fuel pressure regulator problem or bad cat converter for numbers that high.

yeah we found the codes already. is it normal to get a different reading between under the hood and through the ignition? that doesn't seem right to me. I would think the codes would be the same no matter what method you chose.

Clarification on the codes:

Initial check was 111...

Started it up, no code.

Shut off and immediately back on, got 543 a couple times, then back to 111, which makes sense - the fuel pump was running, then stopped, triggering the 543, then it realized all was well and went back to 111.

Didn't get different readings under the hood vs. the CEL.

Don't think the codes mean anything, mostly 111.

The emission tester said he suspected ignition problems--bad plugs, sticky valves, something along those lines.

But, the thing does run like a tractor and had a couple of seriously fouled plugs before they were changed about a year ago. Pulled 3 so far and those looked good, haven't got to the other side yet, but those look good.

:scratch:

Trying to narrow it down bit by bit, on luck so far.

Ok this might sound silly.

If the O2 sensor(s) are dirty/blocked (scaling from the inside of the pipe can dirty then up), it ~could~ send a lean signal to the computer, which then make the thing run rich.

Just an idea anyway.

Might try just unhooking the battery for awhile, it might "relearn" a better mixture itself.

Here's the first hit I got from google on "emissions text HC too high":
http://www.nichols.nu/tip517.htm

And the winner is....

0 compression on #2

Don't know the exact cause yet but it doesn't sound fun. (or cheap)

:(

Back