winch in factory bumper?

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
i'd like a front mounted winch on my x... i was thinking about mounting it between the frame rails infront of the radiator, just behind the bumper. i'd attach the rooler fairlead to the bumper itself ib the open area in the middle. would the fairlead need to be welded in place? would i need to reinforce the front bumper brackats (possibly with square tubbing welded onto the bumper and have that bolted onto the frame)? would this interfeer with the airbags?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking on the same line. I plan on making a plate that goes between the frame rails that that the winch mounts to, and have the fairlead mount to that also. Just trim the bumper for the fairlead.

Tim

I think anytime you make the front of an air bagged vehicle more rigid, and less likely to crumple it makes the airbag deployment sensors not work correctly.

i'll have this done in a few months. i'll take pics when its done.

yes the fairlead would need to be better structurally than mounted to the plastic.

This is a guy named Christian's M8000 on his ST. He is a member here, but I can't remember his screen name. Maybe he will chime in. I still can't believe that thing will fit back there, but he proved me wrong.:)

96949.jpg

96947.jpg

Nice technique. I would think that its still a bad idea on an airbagged vehicle.

i think his name is something with melon in it. not sure though.

that is almost exactly what i plan to do. i'm gonna try to mount mine a little higher though. like on the top of the rails. built a wooden "winch" today to get an idea of space based on warn's dimensions. i'll update with pics when i get that far.

Back