winding noise from engine at start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

winding noise from engine at start up

eirechef

Reaction score
City, State
charleston sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer ltd
Has anyone else experienced this... When I start my 02 x, (from cold) there is a distinct winding noise coming from the engine. I'ts kinda high piched. When I Accelerate the noise increases with the acceleration until I let my foot off the gas, then it stops. It goes away slowly while the engin warms up. I had the idler pulley replaced and had a transmission service done by the dealer. The noise is still there. Dealer says it's normal but he can't tell me what the hell it is....Any of you guys dealt with this
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds similar to my 04 V8, 61,000 miles. Seems almost like a whistle - loudest around 2000-2500 RPM on a cold engine. It will normally stop after the engine is warmed up, but it has come back for a minute or so with engine at operating temp when the outside temp was around 15 deg. Now that it's warmer, it only sometimes whistles when cold - again right around 2000 RPM.

I popped the belt a while back to check idler pulleys. Found one idler had play/roughness in the bearing - replaced that one, but the noise is still there. Was toying with the idea of replacing all the other idlers and a coolant flush.

It's odd that the noise goes away when not accelerating, I have read some threads here and some people have suggested a drivetrain problem. I think that it has something to do with fluid...Tranny, coolant, water pump. It's not constant. I have a new serpentine belt, the second idler pulley is fine and even if it was vibrating, the noise would be somewhat constant. I may be a little out of my league on this one but I'm going to keep going with simple fixes until I loose my mind!!!.
Thanks for the reply N2evp

I did a coolant flush...nada. All pulleys are good. I am going to look at thr camshaft position sensor. I've heard that these can go bad and create this type of noise. If that does't fix it....I'm going to call a priest

I have determined that the noise at start up is the timing chain. Either the guides or the cassette or something in there needs to be replaced. I can't pinpoint it unless I open it up..... Do I need to pull the engine? If so, this X might have to rattle it's way to it's death... Bummer

Back