Broken Hinge on Hatchback

Ehill

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hello all,
I've a 2003 Explorer (Eddie Bauer, 82,000 miles). The hinge on the left side of hatchback broke for whatver reason after opening it, really caught me by surprise. Glad it happened at home and it was dry outside at the time. Nowe have it parked in the garage until i find a fix for it. It looks as it the object the screw goes in is corroded and or stripped out. Had to get the wife to assist me with an attempt to re-screw the little screw back into the hinge. We didn't succeed. Had a difficult time aligning the window/hinge. I found that there was a recall on this problem in September 2004 via search of the internet. Can the hinge be purchased at a local FORD dealer ship and or does the vehicle has to be taken to the dealer ship for the repair? If the hinge can be purchased, how do i install it? I don't see any screws supporting the hinge unless they are beneath the inside trim panel? Is the recall still effective? Thanks for any assistance provided! I appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

let ford do the recall repair. it should still be open. call to find out. its free

Thanks for the assistance! I took it to the local FORD dealer. It's a free fix. Take care!

let ford do the recall repair. it should still be open. call to find out. its free

Thank you for the assistance! I called FORD and they said that they would take care of it at no cost. The recall is still open. Take care!

Here is a thread on doing the job. Call your local Ford dealer and give them the VIN of the car and they should be able to tell you if your vehicle is covered under the recall. If it is covered, there should be no cost to you to have the dealer repair it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226579&highlight=liftgate+hinge&page=2

What information do you need to provide FORD? I noticed my left hand rear one seems a bit off angle but I can open and close the window with no issues. I had a buddy that works on SUVS alot and he told me not to worry everything seems on preety tight.

Hey if its free why not have them fix it

Let me know boys thanks!

What information do you need to provide FORD? I noticed my left hand rear one seems a bit off angle but I can open and close the window with no issues. I had a buddy that works on SUVS alot and he told me not to worry everything seems on preety tight.

Hey if its free why not have them fix it

Let me know boys thanks!

All you need is your VIN number to see if you qualify to get it fixed for free, just call the dealership and see. Also the screw may be a little loose to did you try tighten it?

Called the dealer gave them my vin no recalls but the mechanic checked it out at the body shop at ford and said everything seems very right not to worry about it. I still called the ford 1-800 number and placed a complaint in you never know!

Back