window lift motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

window lift motor

TNHellion

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
I tried searching for 2000 explorer window lift motor and nothing came up. Most of the hits on google were for the scissor regulator or suggested I just pull up the window and tape it ... but the motor is broken and the window won't budge!

The wife put the window down, after I fixed the AC, and now it won't go back up. My brother is alot more handy than I and was nice enough to have a look to make sure it wasn't the switch or anything. The electrical seems okay, the motor is no good. We tried to pull up the window, but no go.

I guess the question is ... is there a way to get the window up? Secondly, I saw a few sites selling just the window motor and the motor/regulator. The regulator is riveted on, so how would I go about removing just the motor? My haynes manual is unfortunately silent on this subject.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a thread here somewhere about replacing the plastic bushings that wear out inside the motor. I've done it, and it's easy and super cheap.

You can buy just the motor. The original motor is riveted to the regulator-to remove it, drill out the 3 rivets holding the motor to the regulator, use new rivets or (preferably) screws and nuts to attach the replacement to the regulator.

Bill

are you sure the problem is with the window motor? have you tried running power and ground directly to the motor? most window and door lock problems are due to broken wires in the driver's door wiring bundle.

Thanks Ranger, I'll try to find it.

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, he tested the connector that goes to the motor and the switch, switch was fine the connector to the motor not so much and said the motor was no good.

I did see a video online of a guy feeding power directly to the motor to test it, but no idea how to do it myself. All I have is a multimeter, but i dont think that will do it. The video also showed the guy pulling up the window and taping it in place to drill out the rivets on the regulator/motor but mine won't budge. If I could get the window up I'd just stick it up and leave it at that for now.

Thanks for the help folks! :chug:

I didn't drill out the rivets and remove the regulator to get to the motor. There should be 3 indents in the inner door panel that correspond to the mounting bolts on the motor. Drill out these access holes and you can put a socket on the mount bolts and unbolt the motor without removing the regulator. With the motor removed, you should be able to raise the window. You can also test the motor out of the regulator. I had mine get stuck down, but found that the regulator must have gotten bound up. removing the motor, then pulling the window up, and reinstalled the motor after confirming it works fine. I haven't had a repeat, and that was three years ago.

Back