• Register Today It's free!

Window problem

shorty423

Reaction score
City, State
Greeneville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I took apart my passenger rear door today to try and figure out my issue with the window. I have read alot of posts on here about these issues and though I would take the motor out to check it out. I finally got the motor out and it looked fine, I plugged it back up and hit the button and It goes both ways no problem, So I am convinced that the motor is fine, The top cable on the regulator is bent at an angle in one spot, Could this be my problem? Also, The window rolls down by itself but needs help going back up. Thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The motor could work fine with no load on it, but have a problem when trying to push the window up. Tear it apart and check the 3 plastic roller things inside. Those are what usually goes bad...

The motor could work fine with no load on it, but have a problem when trying to push the window up. Tear it apart and check the 3 plastic roller things inside. Those are what usually goes bad...

Agreed, take the motor gear assembly apart. It's easy and 95% of the time the gear plugs are what fail. Cheap to replace, available at most auto parts stores, made by Dorman.

Okay, So nobody thinks that it would be the regulator? That's cool, Hopefully it is the things in the motor. That would make fixing it ALOT easier. I will report back what I find.

There's a how-to thread here somewhere with photos, that's what I used to do mine.

Yea, I have seen the thread. That's actually what gave me the idea and confidence to attack the doors and try to figure it out. lol As soon as I find the time I am going to take that motor back out and try to take it apart. I am pretty sure though that when I had it out before, There were no screws on the front of the motor! I could be wrong though.

Did you find the thread that shows how to use the newer style regulator from a 2nd gen explorer? The newer style doesn't have a cable and fits right into the 1st gen door..

IIRC it was Tbars4 who made the thread.. It even has pictures and once you get your bearings at to where your lookings its an easy install.

~Mark

Edit: I found the thread.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248065

It could be the regulator. I had... still have an issue getting my window up. I read the threads, got the plugs, opened it up, and the old ones were fine. I replaced them anyway, of course. Same problem. Replaced the motor, it got better but you can tell it's really fighting around half way up. There is a lot of play in the window, for/aft... I'm going to have to tear it down and really take a look at things.

Oh, some advice: If you remove the motor, I recommend you get some spare screws and/or a magnetic retriever on a long stick. If you drop a screw trying to put it back on, it drops straight to an unreachable spot at the bottom of the door.

I have seen that thread but it all seemed(seems) kinda confusing. I guess that is an option though, I'm sure with the parts I can figure it out. I actually already have a little metal grabber thing plus a telescopic magnetic thing that I purchased a while back, That thing has come in handy so many times already! lol Anyways thanks for the advice!

Back