Window Tinting Laws in your state??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting Laws in your state???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

snocross1985 said:
Sorry dude, but tailgate my ass and I will get pissed. If I have to slam on my brakes in an emergency and the cop creams into the back of me, who is at fault? Turn the lights on and I will move over, but it seems like when they come up on you and tailgate that they are trying to intimidate you and that pisses me off. They need to still stay at a safe distance.
true, you have a point.
FROADER said:
That's illegal if it's code 2...
yeah that makes sense.
mountaineergree said:
isn't it amazing how this thread has strayed from the original topic? From window tint to a rant about cops?
word

well, ya guys had some good arguements on me so i guess if ya cant beat em, join em!........... I HATE COPS!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :confused: hahahaha

IN colorado its 30% on the front two windows, as dark as you want in the back and rear. Nothing allowed on the windshield, although occassionaly I see kids with tint strips above and below their line of sight.

Alot of things the law says are illegal here in CO seem to get by on the street without any hassle.

I know we dont have tire coverage laws, I mean friggin rock buggies basically are street legal here as long as you have all the require lights.

We have no lift height, no bumper height laws, no non dot approved tail light laws, any of that crap, well at least they dont mess with you for it.
The nicest part is yet to come, they are doing away with the emissions stations that actually do a check, soon it will just be drive by and if it passes it passes.....
I am thinking I can put my plates on my friends truck and drive by that sucker, get my emissions in the mail :)

410Fortune said:
IN colorado its 30% on the front two windows, as dark as you want in the back and rear. Nothing allowed on the windshield, although occassionaly I see kids with tint strips above and below their line of sight.

If I remember correctly, the tint stripe on the windshield is legal as long as does not come more the 5.75" from the top of the windshield.

As far as tints go, I guess New Jersey laws are in the middle, BY FAR CALIFORNIA IS THE WORST!!!, I think Los Angles and Compton have alot of influence because of the gangs there and stuff, they dont want a bunch of Bloods in a big blacked out suburban with UZI'S and AR-15's behind 5 percent tinted glass, But on the Other hand Colorado is the most fair to me, the laws there seem to be for the people, i dont ever think that emmissions thing will go down anyhere else in the usa but as far as tinted auto glass Colorado should set the example for other states, the problem is people abuse laws too much, that is why they are sooo strict, so limited, not only civilians, but police, government personel they abuse laws more than anybody, because basiclly they are the law!, I Think like 20 years ago each state came out with automotive windowtinting laws because in Kentucky some guy raped a girl in the back seat of his car at a fast food resturaunt, and somehow a cop was circling the lot and i guess passed by but couldnt see inside the vehicle beacuse its windows were blacked out, But, Whos to say that cannot happen inside of a cargo van,which has no windows!! or a construction vehicle, school bus etc,,, Unfortunally Girls get raped every day, I guess they have a point when it comes to window tinting laws, but it sucks for people like me, who just hate the sun glare, and want a little extra privacy, but what i dont understand is , like in California if tint is illegal on the rear most or ALL New Vehicles come with tinted safety glass already installed off the assemblyline at 20 percent or somtimes even darker, how can they make you get rid of that?? Also Police cannot make you rip the tint off your window, nor can he touch it, I Had a friend that the cop made him roll his front window up and the cop took his keys and scratched the tint right off his window, and told him to get lost!! Now thats some messed up ****.

Where does one find these state laws for window tint, loud exhaust, noise levels etc..

Been looking for the site in MA for quite some time. I know the law is like 65% light, 35% tint.

Though I see new cars from the factory, particularly new SUV's with dark tinted out windows all around.

At what percentage does the tint get really noticable, I want to go as dark as I can without attracting attention, even if it is below the 65% of Mass. Have state legal tint on my X and you can hardly notice that it is even tinted. Some national chain did it, " by the rules" :fire:

Cops can do what they want 'cause what are you going to do about it? Complain?

Who investigates the complaint? Cops.

The way it's supposed to be is that the individual officer should know what is "right", and abide by it...but the reality is many don't.

That's where "personal integrity" comes in...police officers should do the right thing when no one is watching; it is on this that "public trust" is developed.

Without personal integrity LEOs are nothing but a gang with a badge.

Black01XLT said:
Also Police cannot make you rip the tint off your window, nor can he touch it, I Had a friend that the cop made him roll his front window up and the cop took his keys and scratched the tint right off his window, and told him to get lost!! Now thats some messed up ****.

Back when I was still in high school I had a few friends who had been stopped for their tints. Not only would they get a ticket but the cop would also scratch up the tints or have them scratch up their own tints. This seems like it would be crossing the line and glad this never happened to me because I would be pissed.

Yea but it New York, I Beileve you are allowed a 30 percent tint, the law in New York says somthing about 70 percent light, so i guess that means a 30 percent tint on the fronts is legal right??? I Cant seem to find the NY Laws Anywhere, also if your from NY and come to NJ with front tints can the NJ Cops give you a ticket????

In Alabama, the laws say you can have the tint as dark as you want from the back seat back. I have 5% from behind the drivers window back. Also you cannot have any darker than 32% on the front seat windows, I have 30% and get away with it. You are not supposed to have tint on your windshield any lower than 12 inches from the top of the window, the window strip on the top. Mine is also 5% across the top of the windshield. What are emissions? LOL we don't have those. If it has headlights and blinkers, taillights, and window wipers and a horn, anything goes. We do have a bumper height of I think 48 inches or higher is illegal. We have dune buggies driving and off road vehicles with all requirements which are legal. Cops generally don't mind messing with you and they do drive fast, just not too fast.

November 9, 2001
2001-R-0857

WINDOW TINTING ON SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES

By: James J. Fazzalaro, Principal Research Analyst

You asked if the law treats sport utility vehicles differently from passenger vehicles with respect to the maximum allowable amount of window tinting and, if so, why?

SUMMARY

State law contains several exemptions from the maximum window tinting requirements. One of them is for multipurpose passenger vehicles (MPVs) as defined in federal regulations. While it may not be true for every make and model of sport utility vehicle, most fall within the definition of a multipurpose passenger vehicle. Federal regulations specify glazing standards that manufacturers must follow for all vehicles they make. However, these regulations specify that the glazing standards that apply to MPVs are those specified for trucks rather than passenger vehicles. Since this standard allows for more extensive tinting than the one for passenger vehicles, most state laws establishing maximum amounts of allowable window tinting, account for more such tinting for MPVs.

STATE LAW ON WINDOW TINTING

State law generally prohibits anyone from putting any transparent material on the front windshield or on the side or rear windows of a motor vehicle if the material "alters the color or reduces the light transmittance" of the windows, but, among its exceptions, it provides for the following:

1. front side vents and windows cannot be mirror-like in appearance but may have tinting material that allows not less than 35% of the light hitting them to be transmitted through and does not reflect back more than 27% of the light hitting them, plus or minus 3%; and

2. right and left side windows behind the driver or a rearmost window that are not mirror-like and have tinting material that has total light transmission of at least 35% and total light reflectance of 21%, plus or minus 3%. (CGS § 14-99g)

These are not the only exceptions. Another one exempts from the tinting prohibition the windows behind the driver of any truck, motor bus, trailer, mobile manufactured home, or multipurpose passenger vehicle as defined by federal regulations provided any such exempted vehicle has right and left side outside mirrors that allow the driver to see the highway at least 200 feet to the rear.

Under the federal regulations, a vehicle is considered to be a multipurpose passenger vehicle if it is designed to carry 10 or fewer people and is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation (49 CFR § 571.3). Most sport utility vehicles qualify as MPVs under this definition since they are usually built on a truck rather than a passenger car chassis.

FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE STANDARDS AND SPECIAL CONSIDERATION FOR MPVS

By federal law, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration must develop and enforce numerous standards that motor vehicle manufacturers must follow when making their vehicles. These cover a wide range of areas, including things like, tires, occupant restraint systems, interior padding, instrumentation, bumper strength, external lighting, and window glazing. Under several of these standards, the specific requirements apply differently to MPVs and regular passenger cars.

The window glazing standard (No. 205) is intended to reduce injuries resulting from impact to glazing surfaces, ensure a necessary degree of window transparency for driver visibility, and minimize the possibility of occupants being thrown through windows during collisions.

For purposes of applying the glazing standards, the regulation states that unless otherwise specifically provided, the glazing in MPVs must conform to the requirements for trucks rather than passenger cars. (49 CFR § 571.205, S5.1.1.6). Thus, the main reason why they are treated differently under state window tinting laws is because they are treated differently under the federal standard the manufacturers must follow.

In Connecticut, Explorers are considered multipurpose vehicles

Law enforcement don't use their lights on every call. Only in emergency's here in MO. Most calls they have to get there quick, but are not permitted to use their lights. My brother is a deputy sheriff, he speeds worse than anyone I know, but if you were a cop wouldn't you? I guess the remedy could be to become a cop.

In Ohio, the front windows (driver and passenger) must allow 50% of the light to pass through, no windshield banner is allowed to be wider than 6", The rear windows can be as dark as you want.

Damn ohio sucks with that law. 50% would be pointless to even tint.

I have 50 on the front of my Lincoln, 35 on the rears and 15 on the very back and it works fine. It's still pretty dark.

Back