Window Tinting Laws in your state??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting Laws in your state???

Black01XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Garfield, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I Live in North New Jersey , about 10 minutes from New York City, the Window tinting laws here are messed up, You can have any percent of tint on every window except the 2 front and the windsheild, if you get caught ( like me) for having your front's tinted its a $54.00 ticket! But than again its ok for police detectives and state police to have a blacked out cruiser?? WTF IS THAT!! i have 20 percent on everything except the winshield, What i was wondering is 2 things, How are your local laws?? what are the penaltys?? also, in Nearby New York they allow 70 percent tint on the fronts, ( i think it means your allowed a 30 percent tint, so i was wondering if i registered my explorer in New York ( Cousins house) and i drive around New Jersey Can the New Jersey Cops Bother me??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In good ole Arkansas, the rear windows can be dark as you want, the front sides can be 20%, none on the windshield except for a brow down to the marks on the glass. You can go to an eye doctor and tell him the light bothers you, and he can write you a script for legal tint. Some are reluctant to do so. Tickets for too dark of tint are rare but exceed $100 unless its a city ordinance ticket. Most of the time they make you peel it off right there on the spot.

All of the county cops have blacked out windows, way darker than legal. Not above the law my rear!

THe reason is obvious why they don't want at least the front windows tinted. They may be facing a sawed off shot gun or whatever when they approch a vehicle.
I guess the police vehicles can be tinted becase you alwready know they may have a gun pointing at you if you approch a crusier.

i had 5 on everything, and the back windows had the stock tint plus the 5

I get the tint laws for officer safety and all that good stuff- but they should lead by example. Its like speeding, if they get to, then why not me? It’s an abuse of power and authority.

Tint too dark is impossible to see out of at night anyway- I had a car that I had to roll down the windows at night to see on roads that weren’t well lit. 18% plus a layer of 30% behind that is very dark! Sucked in the rain too.

What is stock tint

Hey as I read these threads, I was planning on tinting my Explorer also with 20% all around and 50 % in the windshield, but just curious what the stock tint on a '91 was? In the day time you can't tell it's tinited but when it starts to get darker out you can notice it? And just to add my two cents... If you make a donation to the police station they give you either a sticker or a plastic badge, depending on how much you donate. I haven't done it but I see alot of blacked out vehicles with it in the front windshield and it seems to work, but then again, I don't know for sure. thanks

Abuse of power and authority? NA. Just protection for them and I don't see many cops speeding around here unless their chasing someone or going to a scene.
Maybe they are different where you are.
I have a buddy that hates the cops. One day I found out why, his daughter had about 20 tickets in her first year of driving and he had to pay them and her insurance. Get this "$6,000" every 6 months.
The last "story" she told him was that she was in the middle of 5-6 cars in a town about 20 miles from us and the cop pulled her over for speeding and not anyone else.
One reason I drive the speed limit is because i am sick of paying high insurance premiums.

In Washington state we find:

5) No film sunscreening or coloring material that reduces light transmittance to any degree may be applied to the surface of the safety glazing material in a motor vehicle unless it meets the following standards for such material:

(a) The maximum level of film sunscreening material to be applied to any window, except the windshield, shall have a total reflectance of thirty-five percent or less, plus or minus three percent, and a light transmission of thirty-five percent or more, plus or minus three percent, when measured against clear glass resulting in a minimum of twenty-four percent light transmission on AS-2 glazing where the vehicle is equipped with outside rearview mirrors on both the right and left. Installation of more than a single sheet of film sunscreening material to any window is prohibited. The same maximum levels of film sunscreen material may be applied to windows to the immediate right and left of the driver on limousines and passenger buses used to transport persons for compensation and vehicles identified by the manufacturer as multi-use, multipurpose, or other similar designation. All windows to the rear of the driver on such vehicles may have film sunscreening material applied that has less than thirty-five percent light transmittance, if the light reflectance is thirty-five percent or less and the vehicle is equipped with outside rearview mirrors on both the right and left. A person or business tinting windows for profit who tints windows within restricted areas of the glazing system shall supply a sticker to be affixed to the driver's door post, in the area adjacent to the manufacturer's identification tag. Installation of this sticker certifies that the glazing application meets this chapter's standards for light transmission, reflectance, and placement requirements. Stickers must be no smaller than three-quarters of an inch by one and one-half inches, and no larger than two inches by two and one-half inches. The stickers must be of sufficient quality to endure exposure to harsh climate conditions. The business name and state tax identification number of the installer must be clearly visible on the sticker.

(b) A greater degree of light reduction is permitted on all windows and the top six inches of windshields of a vehicle operated by or carrying as a passenger a person who possesses a written verification from a licensed physician that the operator or passenger must be protected from exposure to sunlight for physical or medical reasons.

(c) Windshield application. A greater degree of light reduction is permitted on the top six-inch area of a vehicle's windshield. Clear film sunscreening material that reduces or eliminates ultraviolet light may be applied to windshields.

(d) When film sunscreening material is applied to any window except the windshield, outside mirrors on both the left and right sides shall be located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the roadway, through each mirror, a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(e) The following types of film sunscreening material are not permitted:

(i) Mirror finish products;

(ii) Red, gold, yellow, or black material; or

(iii) Film sunscreening material that is in liquid preapplication form and brushed or sprayed on.

Nothing in this section prohibits the use of shaded or heat-absorbing safety glazing material in which the shading or heat-absorbing characteristics have been applied at the time of manufacture of the safety glazing material and which meet federal standards and the standards of the state patrol for such safety glazing materials.

(6) It is a traffic infraction for any person to operate a vehicle for use on the public highways of this state, if the vehicle is equipped with film sunscreening or coloring material in violation of this section.

How much would a "traffic infraction" cost? Here's the link, but damned if I can read the lawyer-babble.

I have 5% all the way around and over my factor tint in the rear which is basically limo but when i got stopped about two weeks ago my drivers window metered at 1% and cost me $105.

CA Vehicle Code:

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

And you thought that your laws sucked. :p

Black01XLT said:
I Live in North New Jersey , about 10 minutes from New York City, the Window tinting laws here are messed up, You can have any percent of tint on every window except the 2 front and the windsheild, if you get caught ( like me) for having your front's tinted its a $54.00 ticket! But than again its ok for police detectives and state police to have a blacked out cruiser?? WTF IS THAT!! i have 20 percent on everything except the winshield, What i was wondering is 2 things, How are your local laws?? what are the penaltys?? also, in Nearby New York they allow 70 percent tint on the fronts, ( i think it means your allowed a 30 percent tint, so i was wondering if i registered my explorer in New York ( Cousins house) and i drive around New Jersey Can the New Jersey Cops Bother me??

Pretty sure, that NY law is just about the same on tints as NJ. But you may want to consider other factors as well such as driving style, the car itself, etc. I have had really dark tints all the way around except the windshield on various vehicles over the years and have never been stopped or cited for them. And then I have friends who drive around like idiots with their music blasting and they get pulled over and ticketed for anything from tints to loud music to even a clear license plate cover. To avoid a ticket I try to have my windows somewhat down when driving in an areas where cops are, try not to give the cops a reason to stop me and if I do happen to get stopped I roll both front window down to hide the tint just incase the cops haven’t noticed them. Just my .02.

old mechanic said:
Abuse of power and authority? NA. Just protection for them and I don't see many cops speeding around here unless their chasing someone or going to a scene.
Maybe they are different where you are.

One reason I drive the speed limit is because i am sick of paying high insurance premiums.

Well, the county cops around where I grew up now have 4wd Z71 $40,000 pickup trucks because of the disagreement over the crown vics. They have 5% windows, speed even when not giving chase. They do abuse their power. What do they need dark tint for? And the trucks aren't even marked, just have blue lights mounted behind the grills. They said they saved money because they didnt get the trucks marked. Its bull crap. Tax dollars buying loaded up leather trucks for county police? Whats wrong with a crown vic for much less?

I generally drive 60 in a 55 and never have any problems.

nothing to do with tint...but cops in CA suck!!!they turn on there lights just to get everyone out of the way, go speeding by, then turn them off when they get off the exit...fat, out of shape...dont count on them to protect you...just get you for going 5 over the limit...one just died here on the 5 (through the grapevine)...they said he was doing on honorable thing trying to get a speeder...dont know about your states but they wait till you have distance then speed up well over 100 mph to make it dramatic...looks like our little local cop here couldnt control his car and now he is dead...dont get me wrong, there are honorable cops out there who i respect but it seems like they keep getting more and more corupt...i heard a figure somewhere that in one state, something like 20% of the law enforcment officers had some sort of felony to their name...dont quote me on that but is it right that criminals are enforcing the law?

yeah ive been pulled over twice here in CA for tint. its only a 10 dollar fine, but 50 dollars to get them retinted!! hahahaha :D

and if a cop wants to tint his windows pitch black and speed around me with his lights on thats fine with me. chances are hes doing something to protect and serve the public. its usually an undercover cop car blacked out. you never see a black and white cruiser tinted, not even in the back. most of my other 19 year old friends feel the same way you guys do: "oh cops suck, why cant we do this but they can blah blah." but i belive the laws are there for a reason, and cops break them to help the public.

btw my opinion has nothing to do with me going to school to be a police officer. :D ;)

So when you say that cops break laws to help the public, that means that when I am driving in the left lane on I95 doing 70 and passing slower traffic and a cop comes up on my ass until I move out of the way and he speeds up to about 85-90 WITHOUT his lights on, that he is helping the public? I think not. He is abusing his power. MA state troopers are notorious for tailgating and speeding down the interstates. They are not chasing anyone, just driving fast. NH state troopers aren't so bad about the tailgating, but they speed like crazy. Local cops here from what I have noticed, do not speed or tailgate and are actually decent drivers. Just them staties...

snocross1985 said:
So when you say that cops break laws to help the public, that means that when I am driving in the left lane on I95 doing 70 and passing slower traffic and a cop comes up on my ass until I move out of the way and he speeds up to about 85-90 WITHOUT his lights on, that he is helping the public?
That one pisses me off, especially when you know the meaning of "code: 1-3". I followed one this morning on my way to work going 55-60 in a 45.

so you think that they are getting on your ass to get to the donut shop quicker? maybe are they are going on a call but dont want to upset the flow of traffic too bad and hit the lights. ive been on ride alongs a few times and there was rarely a time when we were just cruising around looking for someone to bust. in fact, there wasnt a time. we always were on our way to a call. sometimes we would go code 3, sometimes code two. but most of the time we just responded code 4 at a high (but safe enough) rate of speed. yeah we got on peoples ***** sometimes but, you gotta do what you gotta do.

now if your talking about CHP, that might be a different story. they are usually looking for traffic violators.

Sorry dude, but tailgate my ass and I will get pissed. If I have to slam on my brakes in an emergency and the cop creams into the back of me, who is at fault? Turn the lights on and I will move over, but it seems like when they come up on you and tailgate that they are trying to intimidate you and that pisses me off. They need to still stay at a safe distance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HappyGilmore said:
maybe are they are going on a call but dont want to upset the flow of traffic too bad and hit the lights.
That's illegal if it's code 2...

Back