• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Noise/Squeek/Rattle

JosERW

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport*soon*
So about a month or so ago I noticed a squeek/rattle coming from the windshield where it meets the dashboard on the passenger side of my 2012 Explorer XLT. It wouldn't make the noise when your first got in the car but then after about 10 mins of driving, there it was. I took the car back to the dealer ship and this was their solution:

"Checked and found windshield flexing causing noise when body flexes. Windsheild not properly seated. Sent to bodyshop to reseal windshield. Reassembled and roadtested. All OK."

and

"R/F A-Pillar outside applique making noise. Removed and replaced R/F A-Pillar molding. Rechecked. All OK."

Long story short, the noise went away. Fast forward about another month... noise is back. Not sure what I should do here. I really don't want to keep bringing the car in just to have the problem reappear, plus it takes them a week to fix. The noise is very annoying, though. Any ideas and what I should do and/or what could be causing this problem? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So about a month or so ago I noticed a squeek/rattle coming from the windshield where it meets the dashboard on the passenger side of my 2012 Explorer XLT. It wouldn't make the noise when your first got in the car but then after about 10 mins of driving, there it was. I took the car back to the dealer ship and this was their solution:

"Checked and found windshield flexing causing noise when body flexes. Windsheild not properly seated. Sent to bodyshop to reseal windshield. Reassembled and roadtested. All OK."

and

"R/F A-Pillar outside applique making noise. Removed and replaced R/F A-Pillar molding. Rechecked. All OK."

Long story short, the noise went away. Fast forward about another month... noise is back. Not sure what I should do here. I really don't want to keep bringing the car in just to have the problem reappear, plus it takes them a week to fix. The noise is very annoying, though. Any ideas and what I should do and/or what could be causing this problem? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum JosERW. There have been a few posts before on similar issues. One member who thought the noise was coming from the 'A' pillars discovered it was actually coming from the cowl that runs along the outside bottom edge of the windshield. He taped it down to verify and the noise disappeared. The dealer replaced the cowl.
I doubt it is the window again since it was fixed and shouldn't pop out of place unless something else is very wrong with the vehicle's structure in that area.
I did a search and came up with a few threads that were about rattles etc.
Below are 2 of the several I found.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324433&highlight=cowl

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365695&highlight=cowl

Good luck.

Peter

Thank you, I will try to tape the cowl and let you know how that works out for me.

Thank you, I will try to tape the cowl and let you know how that works out for me.

Hi JosERW,

Even though you're going to DIY it this time around, let me know if you want to revisit the dealership for this concern. I can get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so they can work on a permanent solution to this noise.

Keep us in the loop!

Crystal

Thank you, I will let you know what happens.

Hi JosERW,

Even though you're going to DIY it this time around, let me know if you want to revisit the dealership for this concern. I can get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager so they can work on a permanent solution to this noise.

Keep us in the loop!

Crystal

I believe I confirmed that the noise is in fact coming from the passenger side of the cowl. I stuffed a rag inbetween the cowl and the windshield and the noise dissappeared. Should I just take the vehicle back to the dealership?

I believe I confirmed that the noise is in fact coming from the passenger side of the cowl. I stuffed a rag inbetween the cowl and the windshield and the noise dissappeared. Should I just take the vehicle back to the dealership?

Hi JosERW,

Taking your Explorer to the dealership for inspection is a great next step. Additionally, I want to get your case into the hands of your regional case manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

I hate to report but the noise is back... and it's louder than it was before! I don't blame my dealership, they've done everything they can but I can't keep driving the car like this. It's infuriating. I honestly don't know what to do... the car isn't enjoyable to drive anymore.

Also, I don't want to keep bother the same dealer. I feel like an ass going back there for this. I really don't know what to do but I feel a $40K truck shouldn't be giving me these kind of worries.

Also, I don't want to keep bother the same dealer. I feel like an ass going back there for this. I really don't know what to do but I feel a $40K truck shouldn't be giving me these kind of worries.
When you took it back after determining it was the cowl causing the noise what did the dealer do? Did they replace it?
I think going back to the same dealer would be the thing to do. They would have a record of what has been done before and therefore shouldn't have to start from 'square one'. I'm assuming this is the dealership where you bought the Explorer so they should be concerned about you as a customer, if for no other reason than possible future sales.
Good luck.

Peter

Read all the posts about this truck and you can see that it is like owning a 10 yr old car. Why we have to be subjected to all this B.S. on a new vehicle is more than I can comprehend! :mad:

Sometimes I hear it sometimes I don't, but it's very loud and ANNOYING. I think I even hear it when the car is idling and I move the wheel. Honestly, I have no idea where it's coming from... The appliqué on the A-Frame on the outer windshield moves/squeaks... maybe that's the issue? I'll try to post a video later on.

When you took it back after determining it was the cowl causing the noise what did the dealer do? Did they replace it?
I think going back to the same dealer would be the thing to do. They would have a record of what has been done before and therefore shouldn't have to start from 'square one'. I'm assuming this is the dealership where you bought the Explorer so they should be concerned about you as a customer, if for no other reason than possible future sales.
Good luck.

Peter

They have removed/reseated the windshield and replaced the cowl. I just hate being "that guy."

Read all the posts about this truck and you can see that it is like owning a 10 yr old car. Why we have to be subjected to all this B.S. on a new vehicle is more than I can comprehend! :mad:

Now where did I leave my violin??? Can I offer you some cheese with that whine?:D

Hi JosERW,

I've already been in touch with you over PM but I wanted to reach out to you here, too. You're welcome to get a second opinion from a different Ford dealership; just let your CSM know so they can assign a different dealership to your case. If you have any questions, you know how to reach me. :)

Crystal

It is STILL making the noise. It's fainter, but the noise comes back and if I pull over to the side of the road and push the cowl down on the pas side the noise goes away until I guess it rattles itself loose. The clips are all in place though. There is a tiny bit of play in the cowl in the pas corner and on other Explorers there is NO play. I honestly don't have the time to keep dealing with this.

Well... the noise came back. I'll be honest, the dealership did everything they could... but the noise is back. I literally hate driving my Explorer now. I am going to see if the dealership will take it back. I can't stand this noise anymore. Last time I ever buy a Ford. Ford let me down...

What is Ford going to do to make this right???

When I wedge an envelope in between the dash and the windshield the noise gets fainter/goes away... What is causing this noise???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Expl,orer Limited and started to notice my dashboard rubbing against something when going over bumps and only when the weather gets cold. It goes away when I put my hand through the steering wheel and put pressure on the dash basically pushing it toward the windshield. When I stop pushing it comes back

Back