Windshield & Windows Keep Fogging Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield & Windows Keep Fogging Up

Annie Oakley

Reaction score
City, State
Dark Corner, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Bronco II XLT
I've got a 1988 Bronco ll that I've owned for @ 6 months. Earlier in the summer, I had the air conditioning converted and recharged. It has worked well, but it seems that maybe the compressor is cycling more often than I would have expected.

In the last 6-8 weeks, I've had a problem with the windshield (and other windows) fogging up on the inside. It started while I was still using the A/C daily and first happened only on the passenger side, spread to the driver's side, and now shows on all windows if I drive long enough. It now happens whether it is heat-A/C-fresh air, or even when I'm not using anything (just driving with the windows rolled up). Changing from vent to defrost to floor doesn't help, but it's worst on defrost. It's also most noticeable at night.

Sometimes there's a faint smell that might be mildew, and sometimes it makes me cough a little. It's definitely not antifreeze or oil. Also, whatever is on there is leaving a residue that smears around when I wipe off the windshield. It looks like something greasy wasn't cleaned off the glass completely wherever I wipe it. During daylight, the windshield usually stays clear, but never fogs like it does at night.

Can you give me some suggestions on what might fix the problem? If it's mildew, where is the water accumulating & where is the best way to access it and drain it?

its either antifreeze or freon leaking in the havac box.......dangerous.......

Thank you very much for the fast reply, Gary!

I don't smell antifreeze, can't find any on the ground, and don't smell any in the motor oil, so I'll go have all the R134a pulled out of the A/C tomorrow. I'm on a really tight budget right now so I hope that'll solve it. R134a inhalation would also explain the slight headache I've sometimes gotten while driving since the problem started.

Thank you again for the help! :)

The heater core is leaking. It's under the dash in the plastic duct work. Mine did the same thing. If you open the hood you can see two rubber heater hoses that go thru the firewall into the heater core. It's like a minature radiator.

Back