1998 Explorer windshield keeps fogging up BAD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer windshield keeps fogging up BAD

TrailHaunter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have a 98 explorer and my windshield will fog up randomly which gets really bad at night since I almost can't see through it. Using the defrost only makes it worse and cracking the windows only works sometimes. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably just needs a really good cleaning. And I would use some of the Rain-x anti-fog. Just make sure after you apply it you make sure you let it haze then wipe it off in a Left to Right action not swirls. Once you think you've got it all get a new paper towel and polish it wipe it down with light pressure in the same Left to Right action.

Check your coolant level in the radiator and the overflow tank. Could be a leaking heater core. I had this happen many years ago in a Mercury Lynx.

X2 on the heater core.

Well I will try cleaning it again and I will put the anti-fog on it as well. As far as the heater core goes, I replaced it 2 years ago when I took apart the dash to get to the "infamous" heat blend door so I could fix it so I doubt it would be leaking.

Was it an aftermarket heater core? If so, a two year lilfespan sounds quite possible. I'm not a fan of stealership parts prices but I've had foreign radiators and heater cores disintegrate in a couple years. A "lifetime" guarantee doesn't mean squat when the labor is on you. Radiator - no big deal, but heater core... One radiator had the fins rot away completely but since it didn't leak, it wasn't returnable, it just didn't work anymore.

Was it an aftermarket heater core? If so, a two year lilfespan sounds quite possible. I'm not a fan of stealership parts prices but I've had foreign radiators and heater cores disintegrate in a couple years. A "lifetime" guarantee doesn't mean squat when the labor is on you. Radiator - no big deal, but heater core... One radiator had the fins rot away completely but since it didn't leak, it wasn't returnable, it just didn't work anymore.

I'm pretty sure I went to my local NAPA store and bought it. I haven't noticed any anti-freeze leaks or smelled it burning and my heat works just fine so I don't think that is an issue.

That's a lot of humidity, - if it isn't coming from the heater core, what is the source?

That's a lot of humidity, - if it isn't coming from the heater core, what is the source?

Well I do feel heat coming through the firewall right below the steering wheel at times but I've never been able to pinpoint it.

I burst the heater matrix on my one and the water kept dripping onto the exhaust.. causing the window to steam up, having the heater on made it worse.. had to bypass the internal heater until I could get a new one... dashboard out job! not pleasant

Si

Make sure that your A/C condensate drain is not plugged up. If it is plugged, enough water can back up in the drip pan to splash around and get picked up in the HVAC system. Normally, you should see a puddle of water under the vehicle when you park if you have been using the A/C. More humidity in the air means more water under the car.

Make sure that your A/C condensate drain is not plugged up. If it is plugged, enough water can back up in the drip pan to splash around and get picked up in the HVAC system. Normally, you should see a puddle of water under the vehicle when you park if you have been using the A/C. More humidity in the air means more water under the car.

Well I had to replace the a/c accumulator so I haven't been using my a/c for 2 years. I cleaned my windshield with RainX glass cleaner and it kind of helped but it still gets foggy.

Back