• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wiper noise ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My front wipers have started to make a "grinding/rubbing" noise - wondering if there is a way I can eliminate the noise.

I have a 2001 XLT V-6 (guess I better say SOHC !!!) with 152K miles.

My wipers were not making good contact on the glass, so I removed the driver wiper arm only, cleaned and lubed the pivot point. In addition, in the spirit of full disclosure, I manually put a slight bend in the wiper ARM to force more contact on the glass. It definitely wipes better, but I now have the noise.

I "un-bent" the wiper arm back to its original position, and it still makes the noise.

Even if I fold up the arm (so the blade is not contacting the glass), it still makes noise - kinda of a light grinding sound.

Any suggestions ? (besides 'live with it' ) Did the added force, due to tbe arm bend, somehow mess up something related to the motion of the wiper motor ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the wiper motor is connected to the wiper arm pivots through a linkage. the linage uses bushings (usually nylon or some form of plastic). it sounds like your bushings are worn out and what you're now hearing is metal-on-metal contact. sometimes you can purchase replacement bushings at the auto parts store (check the HELP section) but if they're still available for Ford i'd go with OE bushings, as the cheap ones don't last too long. at any rate, get it repaired, as once the metal wears you'll have no wipers and have to replace the linkage.

I assume this involves the cowling removal .......... are they any good pictures/links showing how to do this ?

I should have mentioned this in the original post - the noise goes away entirely after about a minute.

Not sure if the might point to a different source of the noise, but throwing it out there.

I was kinda hoping it was something more 'external', like maybe the 'grommet' around the shaft that the blade attaches to ---- maybe spray some belt dressing ?

I should have mentioned this in the original post - the noise goes away entirely after about a minute.

Not sure if the might point to a different source of the noise, but throwing it out there.

I was kinda hoping it was something more 'external', like maybe the 'grommet' around the shaft that the blade attaches to ---- maybe spray some belt dressing ?

it's possible the noise is coming from the wiper pivot tower. there's a bushing in there as well, though i doubt it replaceable. you may be able to lubricate it, but that would be a temporary fix. the pivot tower would need to be replaced. only way to know would be to take it apart. belt dressing is sticky and really has no place in your automotive tool box these days. for lube, i would recommend white lithium grease.

Back