Winter Rims / Wheels | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Rims / Wheels

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. It seems that the 18" PIU wheels will fit the ST with the 21" wheels.
A 265/60R18 tire or a 245/65R18 will be a -1% diameter variance.

Peter
Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone who purchased the 2020/21 PIU OEM Steel Wheels used their previous generation TPMS valves and did they program up correctly to the 2020 Explorer without DTC?

All North America runs the TPMS at 315mHz now, Export is 433mHz.......just wondering if they actually work or if I should sell with my older PIU rims as a package.
Hello.

Did you find information about TPMS frequency? 315 or 433 on 2020 EXPLORER?

Hello.

Did you find information about TPMS frequency? 315 or 433 on 2020 EXPLORER?
The older TPMS valves are working fine....outside North America its 433mHz

The older TPMS valves are working fine....outside North America its 433mHz
Thanks. I ordered 315mHz

tpms.jpg

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. It seems that the 18" PIU wheels will fit the ST with the 21" wheels.
A 265/60R18 tire or a 245/65R18 will be a -1% diameter variance.

Peter
What is the part number for the 18"

dg1z1015a? Thanks!

If you are replacing the OEM 275/45R21 tires, then yes, they have a -2% diameter difference. Over 3% difference is not recommended.
A 235/65R18 will have the same -2 difference. I use the 18" steel Interceptor wheels in place of my OEM 20" wheels for Winter. I'm only guessing the bolt pattern is the same.
Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter

PeterK,

I spent hours and hours researching this and know the stuff pretty well.
I wound up purchasing a set of aftermarket wheels and mounting 285/60-18 winter tires. I noticed on Ford Explorer 2022 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs that a 285/45-21 is available for Explorer. This gave me the confidence to try a 285 with a taller sidewall.
1650992121070.png

So, I used Tire Size Calculator to compare the sizes.
1650992069716.png

I used a Clypse wheel. 9.5" wide, 18 inch diameter, 40mm offset. I was a little worried about the inside edge hitting, but it had the room. The wider rim/larger offset almost put the center of the tire back where it was. It is only off (out) by a few millimeters.
Part NumberSizeBolt PatternOffsetBack SpacingFinishBoreLoad RatingWeightCap Part#
1895CLP405114B7618x9.55x114.30406.820GLOSS BLACK76.1200024CCPCG18-T

Naturally, test fitted the wheels before mounting to be sure they cleared the brakes, which I have the biggest possible brakes on my Explorer ST. They are close, but did fit, mounted the tires, they fit fine. Looks and drives great. I have had quite a few compliments on how it looks, ...mostly from older people. Young kids still like the 'rubber band on a 24" rim' look.
1650992418811.png

I liked it so much, that I have actually ordered a 2nd set of those wheels for all season tires.

I run 265/65R18 tires summer (Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 on Enkei wheels, 35mm offset).
I like the look of your 60 series. The OEM 21" wheels and 45 series tires were way too noisy for me. and very harsh ride.

IMG_0001.jpeg InkedIMG_0016_LI.jpg

I run 265/65R18 tires summer (Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 on Enkei wheels, 35mm offset).
I like the look of your 60 series. The OEM 21" wheels and 45 series tires were way too noisy for me.
Looking good, I know I am not the only one who likes the look (AND RIDE QUALITY) of that taller sidewall. Plus, it gives me a fighting chance when I hit a Southeast Michigan pothole.

This is my setup for winter and other seasons :)

All seasons except winter:
OEM hand polished rims R20 with 255x55xR20 MICHELIN ALL SEASON tires

Winter:
BORBET R18 rims with 235x70xR18 CONTINENTAL WinterContact TS 850 P SUV tires

Borbet.jpg RIMS.jpg Tire.jpg

Nice review. That wheel/tire combo looks awesome. Would never have looked at an all terrain tire for snow tires. THX

Nice review. That wheel/tire combo looks awesome. Would never have looked at an all terrain tire for snow tires. THX
I agree with your remarks. That is a great looking tire but while it may have good light snow traction, keep in mind that it is not a dedicated winter tire so it will be adversely affected by cold weather. One reason they are no longer referred to as "snow tires" but 'Winter Tires'. ;)
Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol may provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.

Peter

I agree with your remarks. That is a great looking tire but while it may have good light snow traction, keep in mind that it is not a dedicated winter tire so it will be adversely affected by cold weather. One reason they are no longer referred to as "snow tires" but 'Winter Tires'. ;)
Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol may provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.

Peter
for an all around id go AT, but not a dedicated winter tire. here in CA its very seldom super snowy, so a 3pmsf works as a all arounder for the 4 seasons here. at least better than the MS tires.

I was pretty happy with the performance on snow-covered twisty mountain roads and steep trails. While a dedicated winter tire will probably out-perform the Grabber A/TX in terms of outright grip in the snow, this Grabber is so versatile and performs extremely well in every category that snow tires couldn't hold a candle to.

I was pretty happy with the performance on snow-covered twisty mountain roads and steep trails. While a dedicated winter tire will probably out-perform the Grabber A/TX in terms of outright grip in the snow, this Grabber is so versatile and performs extremely well in every category that snow tires couldn't hold a candle to.
yep, its all about the right tool for the job. i find an AT to be a jack of all trades master of none to speak, so it wont be as good as a mud tire in mud but itll outperform it on the streetthat kinds thing

The big difference with winter tires is that they maintain their grip on bare roads better than non-winters because of the different rubber compound used in their construction. They remain pliable while others start to lose traction at 43 F. Snow traction is but one factor, cold weather is the other. That is why the term "Snow Tires" is outdated and no longer used. The name is misleading. Time and technology have advanced.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The big difference with winter tires is that they maintain their grip on bare roads better than non-winters because of the different rubber compound used in their construction. They remain pliable while others start to lose traction at 43 F. Snow traction is but one factor, cold weather is the other. That is why the term "Snow Tires" is outdated and no longer used. The name is misleading. Time and technology have advanced.

Peter

I can't for the life of me find any recent tire tests looking at cold temperature dry and wet performance. They are all over 10 years old and at that time, winter tires were slightly behind all seasons in those conditions at low temps.

Back