• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST shift

JEdgar

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I recently purchased the 2020 ST with the Street Pack. Never thought I would enjoy driving but I sure do now. I have a cosmetic complaint and a question for other ST owners. The Street Pack includes the polished black 21 inch rims. Could Ford have kicked in black lug nuts to match the rims instead of the dull silver stock lug nuts, not to mention a few locking lug nuts? Easy fix through Gorilla lugs and Color Lugs. The question I have is once a week or less when the vehicle is started cold (California cold is above 80) the engine appears to rev high which causes a hard shift or lurch when going into reverse. Since it is only every so often I think a trip to the dealer would be a waste of time unless it is a known issue to other ST owners. Thanks!

I get this lunge too and have pinpointed it to starting it and going into reverse too quick. I just give it a few seconds from the initial start (cold start) and it never does it if I wait 2-3 seconds.

I recently purchased the 2020 ST with the Street Pack. Never thought I would enjoy driving but I sure do now. I have a cosmetic complaint and a question for other ST owners. The Street Pack includes the polished black 21 inch rims. Could Ford have kicked in black lug nuts to match the rims instead of the dull silver stock lug nuts, not to mention a few locking lug nuts? Easy fix through Gorilla lugs and Color Lugs. The question I have is once a week or less when the vehicle is started cold (California cold is above 80) the engine appears to rev high which causes a hard shift or lurch when going into reverse. Since it is only every so often I think a trip to the dealer would be a waste of time unless it is a known issue to other ST owners. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It sounds like the engine is still driving up to warm up. In the old days it would be considered that the 'choke' is on. Don't know if modern vehicles still have one or not. I would think it is normal and as blwnsmoke mentioned, let it run a few seconds and the engine should drop back to normal revs.

Peter

Use your remote start and let it idle for a minute or two. Start and go just doesn't cut it. It's bad for the components.

Back