Wiper Motor?

SS r Us

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, Oregon USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Wiper Motor? Help!

I've got a 92 XLT with 135,000 on it. Last night while the wipers were on intermittent they stopped in the middle of a stroke and will now only work on high speed. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't think it's the wiper switch because when I turn it on and off, I can hear the relay clicking up front. Is it possible my motor has gone bad even though it still works on high speed? Has anyone got any tips for changing out the motor? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though the relay is still clicking, I would try replacing it first.

Well, I took a shot in the dark and replaced the wiper motor for $55. Still has the same symptoms.:( Should've listened to Crankcase and tried the relay first.

I've got a relay ordered now for $54, and that's what I'm going to try next, unless someone can advise me differently. I figure it's a 50/50 choice now between the relay and the switch, and the switch is $109. I'll post the final outcome for the archives for reference purposes.

Well, happy ending to the story. Here's the summary:

Symptoms: Wipers would only work in the fast mode, and would not stow at the bottom of the windshield like they should. Wiper relay, located under the dash between the steering column and the ashtray, would "click" when the switch was changed from OFF to the 1st intermittent position, and would "click" again when switched from the last intermittent position to LO.

Fix: Replaced wiper relay, $54 at my local Ford dealer. It's held in place with two 7/32" screws.

I hope this helps somebody else in the future.:)

Originally posted by SS r Us
Well, happy ending to the story. Here's the summary:

Symptoms: Wipers would only work in the fast mode, and would not stow at the bottom of the windshield like they should. Wiper relay, located under the dash between the steering column and the ashtray, would "click" when the switch was changed from OFF to the 1st intermittent position, and would "click" again when switched from the last intermittent position to LO.

Fix: Replaced wiper relay, $54 at my local Ford dealer. It's held in place with two 7/32" screws.

I hope this helps somebody else in the future.:)

Ive got the exact same problem, except i DID replace the multifunction switch, no luck (109.00, ouch!). Does that relay have any identifying markings? Also do you HAVE TO get it at the dealer?

Originally posted by blackcrowe
Does that relay have any identifying markings? Also do you HAVE TO get it at the dealer?

I don't remember what kind of markings it had, but it was the only thing that looked like a relay down in that area. And no, you don't have to buy it at the dealer. I priced around, and my local dealer (Suburban Ford in Sandy, OR) had the best price around!

thanks

SS r US

Sorry to bother you again dude, but the only thing that i saw that looked like a relay, in that general, area was brown and had three prongs. I removed it and the wipers still worked (on high speed) so i'm pretty sure that wasnt it. In fact the guy at Discount Auto said it was the fan relay, and said it probably was a "dealer only" item. They (dealer) already told me that it was about 60 bucks! If i have to go there i guess i will, but i have to find the damn thing first.

Anyway, can you give me a description of what it looked like? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for the information!
I was going to buy the motor tomorrow, but will now try the wiper relay.
I had the same symptoms. First only high speed or off and positioning them in the down position was a treat. Now the wipers do not work at all.
Thanks a lot!

Back