Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

JAMADOR

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited RWD
Getting streaks in the rain on my new-to-me '20 Limited.
Would have had the dealer replace those pre-purchase if I'd driven it in the rain when test driving it.

Typically, I've gone with Bosch Icon or RainX when I can't find the Bosch local.

So, Motorcraft or other for front wiper replacements?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, read through it & seems it's a common issue. Mine is doing the same no-wipe on the return, right in the center of the driver's side blade.

Thanks, read through it & seems it's a common issue. Mine is doing the same no-wipe on the return, right in the center of the driver's side blade.
My 2021 was doing the same thing. I replaced last week with new Motorcraft and they are perfect now.

Good to know, may stop in my local dealer for a new set. Supposed to be inundated with rain for the next 3-5 days.

Would have had the dealer replace those pre-purchase if I'd driven it in the rain when test driving it.

Typically, I've gone with Bosch Icon or RainX when I can't find the Bosch local.

Thanks
clean your windshield with a polish or clay bar it, apply rain repellant and then new wipers

I'd get whatever looks best on Rock Auto, as their prices are great on most wiper blades, especially if you also need something else shipping from the same warehouse so you aren't gouged on shipping.

Another option is look around for rebates, as the last few sets of wipers I've gotten were over 2/3rds off after a rebate. The idea is that unless you can get teflon blades, you're better off getting any major brand at a great price and just replacing them more often.... rather than paying maybe 3X as much to get a lot less than 3X the lifespan. Besides, I highly doubt that Motorcraft has wiper blades made special to a higher spec, far more likely someone else makes them and sells virtually the same thing under their own brand name, for a lot less without the middleman markup.

However, you might try gently cleaning the wiper blade and if there's a raised spot, adjust the beam to apply pressure more there, especially if it's the metal core beam style as those will pretty well stay in the shape you bend them to. Just remember, small adjustments then test, not enough bend to put a kink in it. If it doesn't work, you were only out a couple minutes to try.... well... that and maybe even worse wiper performance if you bend them too much and can't adjust them back to where they were, but that's where small adjustments come in, making that less likely.

Lastly, have you considered waxing your windshield with a synthetic polymer sealant type automotive paint wax product? These go on with a thinner coating than real wax, that does not cause as much optical degradation and lasts longer per application, and wiper blades drag less than on a bare windshield, as well as water spotting from the surface tension difference so more is swept away. Some people even use this type of sealant on their wiper blades, but I haven't tried that as I wondered if it would cause an unattractive haze on the rubber. I should try that, since my current sets will probably be due for replacement before next winter, just to see what happens, though mine usually work well enough until they start to tear at either end, then are replaced. That brings up a related topic, I wonder if I did that earlier on in their lifespan, if it might help protect against UV and keep oxygen out, so they don't get brittler and tear as easily.

Heh, might be too much work, blades are inexpensive on Rock Auto, but could be an interesting experiment.

Thanks
I've had no issues with Motorcraft blades on my PIU. There's no adapter necessary for Motorcraft wipers.

I use RockAuto.com for wipers. They usually have closeouts on name brands. I bought five sets for my Explorer last time because they had Motorcraft for a few bucks each.

If your vehicle has auto rain detection for the wiper system I would be careful using Rain-X of similar products. The car usually detects droplets on the windshield to determine when to operate the wipers and the windshield polish products can inhibit the formation of droplets.

My 22 Explorer is doing this same thing, same spot, even with new Motorcraft wipers, annoying.

My 22 Explorer is doing this same thing, same spot, even with new Motorcraft wipers, annoying.
I think on every vehicle I've had that same spot is missed. Is this some kind of conspiracy?:)

Peter

When I worked at Advance Auto I learned which blades came back for complaints/replacements. RainX were the worst offenders and the Trico ones were close behind. Since that time I use Bosch Icon blades exclusively. They cost more up front, but they last a crazy amount of time. The set on my '07 Sport Trac is going on just over a year old and still going strong, no streaks or noise. I also have them on my wife's Lexus IS and sons Saturn Astra.

have had good luck w michelin and bosch

I use RockAuto.com for wipers. They usually have closeouts on name brands. I bought five sets for my Explorer last time because they had Motorcraft for a few bucks each.
just get em a good amount at a time or else one at a time shippi eats you alive lol
If your vehicle has auto rain detection for the wiper system I would be careful using Rain-X of similar products. The car usually detects droplets on the windshield to determine when to operate the wipers and the windshield polish products can inhibit the formation of droplets.
good advice.

When I worked at Advance Auto I learned which blades came back for complaints/replacements. RainX were the worst offenders and the Trico ones were close behind. Since that time I use Bosch Icon blades exclusively. They cost more up front, but they last a crazy amount of time. The set on my '07 Sport Trac is going on just over a year old and still going strong, no streaks or noise. I also have them on my wife's Lexus IS and sons Saturn Astra.
I started using Bosch Icon blades many years ago, and still have the same set of blades. I didn't expect them to last so long.

I use motorcraft wipers, never had a problem with them and no need to mess with adapters.

Bosch Ikons here for a while. Switched to Rain-X - happy with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up a pair of Motorcraft wipers Friday while getting a new battery for our Expedition.
Have only run the onboard washer, but no streaks or chatter so far.
Part Nos:
LB5Z-17528-AA
LB5Z-17528-BA

Back