Wireless Key Pad - Help Programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wireless Key Pad - Help Programming

BradleyFord

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base 4WD
I purchased a 17 Ex base model, this one does not have the keypad built into the door. I ended up getting this wireless key pad http://a.co/frCaBo5. I've read everything on line, called the dealer and no one can help me program this. Does anyone know how to program this for a 17 Ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is dealer programmed only. Your dealer has access to the instructions for it. Sounds like they are being lazy and don't want to look into it.

Huh ok, i'll call them again tomorrow. Is there a special tool or program they use that doesn't allow me to do it myself? I mean I could buy a spare key if I needed and program it my self but I can't do that with a keypad?

Huh ok, i'll call them again tomorrow. Is there a special tool or program they use that doesn't allow me to do it myself? I mean I could buy a spare key if I needed and program it my self but I can't do that with a keypad?
Just a guess but perhaps it is done with their laptop using the Ford IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) software program. That s what they used to enable the DRL for some members.

Peter

Yes it is done with IDS.

Spoke with the dealer, I had to setup a service appointment for next week. You're correct in that they have to use their system to program it. Apparently it changed with the 2017 model from what they told me. Tried to get them to do it since I just purchased the car from them but they won't, $60 + tax and will take an hour they tell me...

It takes 15 minutes max including the computer boot up time. On the Explorers is started in 16.

At dealership now having it programmed. Took them 20 min just to do the paperwork before anyone looked at my car. We'll see how long they actually take, I'm 28 min into my hour appointment. Side note, their walk around caught a scratch on my month old car, looks to be from a car door. People are jerks

Side note, their walk around caught a scratch on my month old car, looks to be from a car door. People are jerks
I received my first 'door ding' a couple days ago. Was able to remove the paint transfer and no scratches but one small dent. Will see what the dealer says when I go in next week for oil change and wheel swap. Not sure the size of acceptable 'dings' on a lease.

Peter

At dealership now having it programmed. Took them 20 min just to do the paperwork before anyone looked at my car. We'll see how long they actually take, I'm 28 min into my hour appointment. Side note, their walk around caught a scratch on my month old car, looks to be from a car door. People are jerks

Yes that is part of business...the paperwork time. Got to include that too for a dealership. Sounds like you posted when they took it back to do it...that was 25 minutes ago...so are they done or scratching their heads?

I received my first 'door ding' a couple days ago. Was able to remove the paint transfer and no scratches but one small dent. Will see what the dealer says when I go in next week for oil change and wheel swap. Not sure the size of acceptable 'dings' on a lease.

Peter

Might be worth you asking the question with your dealer. In my recent experience with the end of the lease on my wife's MB C250, there are very specific parameters on allowable size of dings and scuffs, and these things will be looked at very closely at the lease-end inspection.

Might be worth you asking the question with your dealer. In my recent experience with the end of the lease on my wife's MB C250, there are very specific parameters on allowable size of dings and scuffs, and these things will be looked at very closely at the lease-end inspection.
Yes, I'm aware of those specs although I've never hit the end of my last 2 leases as the dealer has always offered a deal ahead of time. The 2011 Ltd had 1 year to go and the 2014 had 5 months to go on the lease. All the did was a quick walk around and a drive around the lot. Mine always have very, very low mileage. Picked up my '17 Platinum on Halloween and I have about 1500 miles on it.

Peter

Yes, I'm aware of those specs although I've never hit the end of my last 2 leases as the dealer has always offered a deal ahead of time. The 2011 Ltd had 1 year to go and the 2014 had 5 months to go on the lease. All the did was a quick walk around and a drive around the lot. Mine always have very, very low mileage. Picked up my '17 Platinum on Halloween and I have about 1500 miles on it.

Peter

I guess MB is a little more tense - LOL. That said, when we got to the end of the lease, they made a much better offer than we expected on the purchase price, which also made the scuff and ding issues go away. Wifey was happy to keep her little Benz.

All done. It only took about an hour and 15 min at the dealer. The scratch is on the rear drivers side wheel well on the black trim. Should be easy enough to rub out with some Back to Black. At lease it wasn't in the paint.

Back