• Register Today It's free!

Smart Key Programming

hankbear

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I know how to program a new remote for my 2013 Limited, and there is the requirement that you have two of the factory keys. My partner was able to program a second key for a 2011 F-150 he bought used, when he only had one key fob, because the truck also had Remote Start, and the Remote Start module counted as a second factory key.

Does anyone know if that is possible with the 2013 Explorer Limited? I not only have Remote Start, but I also have the Audiovox security system that can do everything the fob can from my Android phone. My guess is that, even if the factory Remote Start doesn't count as a key, the Audiovox system may, but I cannot be sure.

Which leads me to another question: Is there any harm in trying to program a new key without having both factory ones? Will I disable anything?

Lastly, are there any special requirements to getting the correct fob from places like Amazon or EBay? I was looking at this one, but there are less expensive options on EBay:

http://www.amazon.com/2013-Ford-Explorer-Smart-Key/dp/B00B1E4LCW

Thanks!!

A very late "Welcome to the Forum." :wavey:
Just happened to come across your thread now. Did you ever get an answer?
I don't know if the F-150 uses the same procedure as the Explorer to program keys or not. I've not heard about the remote start module counting as a key. The Owner's Manual only mentions doing it with 2 physical.

Peter

Back