• Register Today It's free!

wiring up external reverse lights

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
i recently traded a pushbar for 3 sets of offroad lights. what i am looking at doing is wiring one pair up to the reverse lights off of the back of the rood rack. and ideas on what the best way to do this is? and how not to fry ur wires doing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did this today, it's really easy. Run a power wire from the battery and connect that to a relay that's tapped into one of your reverse lights and ground it to the frame. Wire up the positives from your aux reverse lights to the relay and ground the lights and you're done. Now when you go in reverse they'll turn on automatically. Lemme know if you want a diagram.

when you run this wire from the battery make sure to include a fuse (should have come with the lights)

a switch might also be needed to keep them from coming on in the city (city people dont like extra lights)

Good call on the fuse, electrohacker. Forgot to mention that!

my setup will also have a relay that is triggered by the marker lights (should only need aux lights at night) but then again i'm going to use that signal on a few light switches for lighting

Back