Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny (Completed)

Pre-note, now that I have confused everyone with a name change, took me a while to find my real login seeing I forgot what it was in the 2 years since I had last used it :) but I'm back!... now on with the show...

Ok, in the first thread I started (link here soon as I figure out how..) I was taking suggestions on what to use for the swap, well, now my mind is made up... and here is whats on it :D

Engine: '94 5.0lt EFI mustang motor, w/ all accories around 70k miles on it, need to get more info from the person I'm getting it from
-going with the '94 due to the shorter front for the much needed space in the X

Wiring:
Motor: '93 mustang harness, EEC-IV -going this route because of the EEC-IV adapts to mods much better then the post '94 computers
-going to wire the harness myself, that way its wired the way I want it, and run underhood the way I want

Trans: Baumann Engineering TCS, this unit will stand alone control the Aod-E/4R70W trans, unit using some of the EEC wiring for data to control the shift points and thottle kick down
-I dont think anyone else has gone this route, so I'll keep everyone up to date on how it works out

Trans/T-Case:
Trans: 4R70W, brand new '99 5.0 Explorer Trans *will not bolt up to the B/W 1350 t-case* also I dont know what the length is yet, still wating on them, if this trans is way over/under 29" overall its out and I'll be going with a Aod-E and a AA tailshaft kit

T-Case: Seeing that the 4R70W will not bolt up the b/w 1350 T-Case with out adapter, I'm looking to go with a Atlas T-Case, yeah it cost alot, but I'm already putting in a better motor/trans... why stop there *1 (see foot note)

Swap Adapters/kits:
This is the only part I cant make up my mind on =) I like the look of the L&L mounts, might end up going with duff for some of the other stuff also, I'll figure this out in the next 2 weeks

Overview: *1 (see foot note)
Reasons I have for going this route with this swap..
Well... I have a few reasons for going electronic with the trans, I really like the idea of being able to set the shift points, converter lockup, turning the OD on/off with a button. As for the hard parts of the trans, its a newer model year, parts should be easyer to find, from what i have heard its one of the stronger ones also, the lower gearing is a big plus, thats less $$ I need to spend on regearing the front and rear diffs untill I go over 31" tires and it should give the truck better highway/road performance. The T-Case... Atlas II 3.8:1 that speaks for itself :D , few of the hidden advantages to the atlas t-case is I can pull the ford t-case control box out of my rear sail panel which would give enough room probably for a onboard air compressor....
More info and PICTURES! to follow (I would have pics of the duff 2.5" stage 2 install, but I didnt want to kill my digital cam)

FootNote!
*1- results may vary on a person to person basis ;)

General Disclamer: Most info I have I have gathered in the last 2 weeks, most people wont agree with the Aod-E tranny, if ya dont like it, pay me way too much money and do the swap the way you think it should be done :p
All reasons and overview are my opinion, Please try not to spam this thread with flames

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice... looking good

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

New update... Tranny is being shipped now :bounce: and the atlas 2 is on order (another week untill its up to be built) things are starting to come together :D now I just need to get the wiring together...

Front hitch and bumper moved

front hitch is finished now, moved the front bumper up almost 2" inches and foward about a inch, still needs some fine tuneing :)

Here is the pics of the mounts/hitch
braceing...
Dead Link Removed
Bumper mount
Dead Link Removed
Bumper mounted
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Atlas 2 ordered

Well, the Atlas 2 has is now being put together,
Specs on the t-case are...
Atlas 2 3.8:1 low
6bolt t-case to tranny
32 spline front and rear outputs
1310 CV front output
1310/1350 Rear Flange, to retain stock drive shaft mounting AA part # 300470 (tom woods customs)
1" spacer for Atlas-tranny mounting (may not be needed)
Total Cost Shipped $2345.10

savage wolf,
Re: Air Conditioning..........................

Since I was moving down to Phoenix, Arizona, I had not choice, but to get some type of AC system setup.

Anyway, I got a complete Short Front ACC kit from a 1994 Mustang 5.0 including R-134 Compressor. I took off all my old 89-93 stang 5.0 Accessorries, and instaled the 94+. The Air COmpressor fit, but I had to grind down some of the edges and bolt on the lower part of the bracket. I used a AC hose from a 1995 Cobra 5.0 mustang. This hose required a lot of bending to hook up to the explorer AC radiator. (whatever ya call it)

The biggest problem was the smog pump. Definately a no go. It came out right in the frame rail. no way around it. Anyway after cuting the factory bracket about 6 inches and making some new metal extension arms, I was able to fit the smog pump in there. The move also required a slighly larger belt. Anyway, Everything works fine, blows nice and cold. A better write-up with pictures will follow.

Good Luck............. and remember, it can be done.

Al

well, I'll have to keep that in mind, I have the 94/95 setup inc the ac compressor so I'll have to do some test fitting when my tranny arrives :)

yeah, I plan on being up and running before the 24th run, about to make a call and see why my tranny isnt here yet... :fire:

Making of a monster

Ok, i now have my atlas 2, TCS tranny controler :D

Well, I think you all know what this is :p
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

And The TCS
Dead Link Removed

Shorted out the damn keyboard from all the drowl?!?!?!?!

That looks good.

damn i want one.... now.... that is so pretty... looks better than my G/f......:cool:

more swap details....

ordered L&L motor mounts, very nice =) 2 peice design easy to install and set the motor on, I suggest these highly, my james duff headers fit well, BUT the pass side needs to be bent to clear the tranny probably
:hammer: its getting there finally :D
Pics to follow soon

WARNING!!! May Cause Drooling!!

OK!!! :bounce: got my tranny finally, stuck the atlas on it trying to figure out the clocking I want and snapped a few shots, so far everything seems good..... course there is always a snag... or two, the tranny mount on the 4R70W is 2 inchs foward from the A4LD, the atlas 2 shift tower seems to have part of the tranny in its way also and is aimed too far to the left, I'll wait to mount it to figure that out, also need to fab a shifter cable bracket (fun... not) but anyways on with the pics!

warning: have drool rag or bib handy before viewing.... :p

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

here you can see the shifter clearance, and also my L&L motor mounts in the background

Dead Link Removed

The project still pushes on, on the things to do list I need to pull the AC/Fan housing out, install the egr to the header set the motor and tranny

Do NOT get the james duff headers if you want to do this swap easy, after alot of heating and bending I got mine to clear and line up where they needed to be, complete total pita

Pics to follow as I get somethign done =)

Pics coming soon as I get off my ass and take them... :p

Current progress: motor in, ac/blower box cut and installed, t-case/tranny all hooked up rear driveshaft in, p/s and a/c pumps in (minor mods to the ac compressor to make it fit) flex fan w/ 3/4" spacer fits with stock radiator :D

Problems left: rear driveshaft too short, front drive shaft too long, alot of wiring needed to be done (already traced out though), A/C wireing needs to be traced and run, smog pump wont fit at all, where to put the 95 stang air box, and lastly what the hell to put my 33x12.5 spare (cant go on roof)

Yes the L&L mounts are sweet! They cause even more problems withthe Duff headers however, the Duff motor mounts must sit at least 1" taller.

Joe ended up ditching the Duff long headers, they just simply wouldnt fit, especially with a JET AOD.
I believe Duff made those headers for the T-5 only.

Not too happy with Duff products lately, their drop brackets and VR coils are good, traction bars okay, I actually love my Duff prerunner bumpers, but the conversion parts seem to leave alot to be desired.

Looking good so far! Funny to see the same problems coming up again and again, and finally some documentation..........

The FMS headers are SWEET and cheap! But the Y pipe is then up to you..........

Old engine and tranny

Geoff looks good, that Atlas is nice.

Hey, do you still have the 4.0 and the A4ld you took out? I am thinking about fooling around with something other than whats in my truck!

Have Fun

Yeah Steve, I still have my stock 4.0, and a4ld tranny and t-case, all the parts to it, and a full motor minus a few peices
(yes thats 2 motors, 1 cooked tranny and a working? electricshift tcase
and I can probably deliver (trailer or rollback towtruck) if anyone wants to buy it that lives close by

Well... its still not running, but its getting damn close, right now i have the cash... but no time to get anything done, sooooo I'm going to find someone to finish the mess off, hopefully I'll get the exaust system finished next week, and get someone to finish the final wiring and mechanical work
If i have time I'll post pics of the exaust system when i get it done =)

side note I just got a new 33x12.50x15 BFG M/T for a spare, looks nice =) soon as i get the rig running, project 2 is building the spare tire carrier from hell =)

Awsome job, Once you're finished I'm prolly gonna have a couple questions for ya. You solved pretty much my only question, how to control the 4R70W. I didn't know if a, say '95 stang motor would control it or not.

Back