Wondering if my Explorer has a clearcoat finish. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wondering if my Explorer has a clearcoat finish.

Schinjay

Reaction score
City, State
Schertz, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hey everybody, This is Steve in Texas.

I've had my Ingot Silver Explorer XLT for 11 months. I got a car wash subscription with the purchase and have kept this baby as clean as possible since I drove it home. At least one wash a week to include their usual spray wax job as it moves through the tunnel. I have not had any hand wax jobs as of yet, mainly because even at 11 months old, the finish is still as bright and smoothe to the touch and clean after a wash as the day I brought it home.

I'm wondering if there is a clearcoat finish on the exterior. The window sticker does not mention it, but I find it very unusual that the finish has remained so smoothe and clean feeling for all this time. Anybody know how I can find out if there's a clearcoat finish on this thing? Anybody else have this experience? I appreciate your input. Steve S.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
I had my Explorer is for service today and to have the Winter tires put on. They always wash the vehicle afterward and it was nice and clean and shiny. The last time it was washed was back in April when it was serviced. The white gold colour doesn't show dirt very much and what little rain we had during a hot Summer helped a little in 'washing' it. I know that the colour code can be found on the vehicle's stickers but I don't think clearcoat info shows on them. I'm quite sure that most vehicles now have a clearcoat finish. The chrome wheels are clear coated. If you don't get an answer here, try calling the dealer's body shop or any body shop.

Peter

Yes, all Ford's vehicles (all manufactures do this I assume) have a clearcoat applied during the painting process.

What blwnsmoke said. There has not been a vehicle sold by Ford in the last 30 years that wasn’t at least a base coat/clear coat.

Yes, all Ford's vehicles (all manufactures do this I assume) have a clearcoat applied during the painting process.

Pretty much standard these days....

Our explorers do, but Toyota white does not have a clear coat finish, go figure.

Back