Won't idle when cold... idk what to do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't idle when cold... idk what to do

00ford

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford exploere 4.0
my mom has a 2000 for explorer 4dr SOHC 4.0 has about 153k miles on shes had it for 5 going onto 6 years with out any major problems... so for the alast month it won't start and idle when its cold.. you gotta hold your foot down and wait for it to warm up... well i noticed that the plugs, plug wires and fuel filter all said motor craft on them and i knew she hasn't had any work done on it so i changed them out for here... and the problem is still there

and also she says sometimes ti surges... when she has her foot off the gas and i've noticed this too... you put it in gear D or R and let off the brake and gas and it will sometimes idle up and down a few times when its warmed up

she needs this rig to last her a few more years so i'm looking to do a fix the problem and not just bandage it

I'm not much of a ford guy i my self are into mopar and diesels....

so i need your help... would could be causing this...

i want to fix her suv so that way shes not gonna be stuck somewhere if its snowing or etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Intake gaskets are leaking, it will probably set ck engine light with codes p0171 and p0174.

my mom has a 2000 for explorer 4dr SOHC 4.0 has about 153k miles on shes had it for 5 going onto 6 years with out any major problems... so for the alast month it won't start and idle when its cold.. you gotta hold your foot down and wait for it to warm up... well i noticed that the plugs, plug wires and fuel filter all said motor craft on them and i knew she hasn't had any work done on it so i changed them out for here... and the problem is still there

and also she says sometimes ti surges... when she has her foot off the gas and i've noticed this too... you put it in gear D or R and let off the brake and gas and it will sometimes idle up and down a few times when its warmed up

she needs this rig to last her a few more years so i'm looking to do a fix the problem and not just bandage it

I'm not much of a ford guy i my self are into mopar and diesels....

so i need your help... would could be causing this...

i want to fix her suv so that way shes not gonna be stuck somewhere if its snowing or etc
Have you scanned the codes? With this problem, there should be codes thrown. I would look for leaking gaskets, bad coolant temp and intake air sensors. I don't think it much matters what manufacturer, the diagnosis would be the same.

Have you scanned the codes? With this problem, there should be codes thrown. I would look for leaking gaskets, bad coolant temp and intake air sensors. I don't think it much matters what manufacturer, the diagnosis would be the same.

well luckily mopars and deisel for the most part don't have stupid plastic intakes....

but no the CEL is not on. where is the intake air sensor coolant temp sensior located

well luckily mopars and deisel for the most part don't have stupid plastic intakes....

but no the CEL is not on. where is the intake air sensor coolant temp sensior located

My 2000 V6 does the same, it feels like it's struggling to "breathe" when in idle, not as bad as your's but it never drops below 1,200 rpm when in park. I agree that you should either check the intake gasket or sensors. I'm going with the gasket though, I replaced my MAF and it still idles bad.

Check your air filter too, my wifes old pontiac when I first met her way back did the same thing, never idled until it was warm, then check the air filter and it was soo clogged, she had never changed the filter at all or ever! As soon as I removed it, the engine ran like new! Check your IAC too, sometimes it sticks and stuck closed...
You can try cleaning it at first, if that doesn't solve it, replace it, and then if else fails check the intake gasket... but more likely the IAC!

"Plastic Intakes" have a huge advantage over metal/cast, smoother runners, runs cooler and lighter! You won't have to port and polish them!

"Plastic Intakes" have a huge advantage over metal/cast, smoother runners, runs cooler and lighter! You won't have to port and polish them!

but like on the buick 3800 seriors motor the plastic intakes crack... and now the plastic intake gasket have problems on the expleror... i never really had any problems with metal or alum or cast intakes... but to each is his own...

anyways i'm gonna pull the IAT out and clean it this weekend and then if that doesn't do it i guess next weekend i'll have to tear into the intake

Check your air filter too, my wifes old pontiac when I first met her way back did the same thing, never idled until it was warm, then check the air filter and it was soo clogged, she had never changed the filter at all or ever! As soon as I removed it, the engine ran like new! Check your IAC too, sometimes it sticks and stuck closed...
You can try cleaning it at first, if that doesn't solve it, replace it, and then if else fails check the intake gasket... but more likely the IAC!

air filter is 72 hours old lol

nope... mom won't leave her car at home.. so i can mess with it when its cold.... so i'm gonna wait till friday to mess with it...

Back