• Register Today It's free!

WONT START PLEASE HELP!!!!!

CCSUREP

Reaction score
City, State
New Haven, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XL
I really need some advice..... I'm stumped....

The other day my ex decided to die. I was already going to replace the radiator because it was leaking coolant, however the truck never over heated. I was driving home and decided to stop at a store, when I got out of the car I noticed some steam comming from the passenger side of the grill. I just thought it was the radiator and I left it, when I came back after about 10 min. I started up the ex. I ran really bad like it wanted to cut off. I got back to my place , and it died completly. I tried to start it up again, after several cranks all the lights and everything went dead. My battery is not that old (like 6months). Anyway, I called a tow truck and we tried to jump start it the following morning. It didn't work the battery was drained. The tow truck guy told me the alternator died, I figured that too. I had to get the EX towed, now here is where it gets wierd, When he picked the truck up on the flatbed and set it flat again fuel poor out of the front of the truck?????? The truck driver and myself thought that it might have been cause the engine was flooded, but idunno? So I replaced the battery and the alternator. The Ex started up for like 2 seconds and then died, and will not start. Sounds like it is choking or something. Could coolant have gotten into the alternator and caused it to die? What would cause the gas to leak out of the front? Could coolant have leaked into the sparkplugs... I'm soo frustraited and cluless.... any help please.... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since fuel is leaking, are you sure gas is getting to the engine? Find the source of the fuel leak first. If your leaking fuel and manage to get the engine started you could have a very serious problem on your hands.

Definately look for the fuel leak first. I wouldn't have messed with the electrical until I got that fixed.

Originally posted by Alec
Definately look for the fuel leak first. I wouldn't have messed with the electrical until I got that fixed.

Yea.....

Fuel Leak + Spark = KABOOM:eek:

Fuel Pressure Regulator!!!!!!

Definate FPR symptoms, Try a search.

Basically the FPR goes bad allowing fuel to enter all vacuum lines, intake, and flood the engine. There have been guys that have actually filled the intake enough to hydrolock the engine. Pull some of your vacuum lines off at the intake manifold and see if fuel comes out.

It's about $75 and about 15 min worth a work.

Thanks for the help, I have anoter question. Where is the fuel pump regulator located, and where can I buy a new one. I have not seen them at the local auto stores is it a factory item?
Also if I were to put a new one in, is there anything else I have to do with the fuel system to get the truck to run? Or will I be able to stuck the part in and start it up?
Right now the car will crank but it just won't start up

FPR is the fuel pressure regulator ... it's located ( on 4.0 pushrod ) on the passenger side fuel rail.... It has 2 bolts and a vac and fuel line going into it.

Nothing else needs to be done to the truck besides relieve the fuel pressure in the system, and perhaps replace the fuel filter if it needs it ( while the system is discharged )

The FPR is on the passenger side fuel rail just below the top radiator hose. Remove the radiator hose for easy access, 2 10mm bolts and a vacuum line and it comes rights off.

Do some preliminary checks first though, pull the vacuum line and see if it is full of fuel. Pull some vacuum lines off at the intake manifold, (rear of engine,drivers side, you'll see a bunch coming together).

Pull a spark plug and see if it smells of fuel.

Autozone carries it. MAke sure you get the right one. There are two, one has a threaded return line and one just clamps on.

Thanks again guys,

This has been such a big help, I think it is the FPR. I had it towed to my local shop to have it worked on. I would have done it myself but my truck fights me everystep of the way... ha. You know how you get to that last bolt that won't come off no matter what :mad: . I just put a new radiator, Themostat, alternator, and battery in today i'm tired. Has anyone else had to remove the tension pully just to get to the damn bolts on the thermostat housing?.... that really made me curse... I love Ford engineering ;). But for real has anyone had to do that? I couldn't find an easier way to replace the thermostat???

Update,
Car works fine now, problem was the FPR. I found one at Advance Autoparts for only 63.99 :D . I had it put in and now it runs well. I put some fuel injector cleaner in after I got it back to clean things up better, there was a lot of fuel dumped into the engine. I had an oil change done too, they suggested that I do it again in like 300 miles. The gas made to oil too thin, if this happens to you make sure you check your oil after.... :cool:

Back