Problem with battery cable or did I screw something up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with battery cable or did I screw something up

My98xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
lakeland fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I have had some trouble with my Ex starting, and after wiggling the negative cable, it started fine. I decided to replace it tonight, but when i did i didnt have the little ground wire that comes off the terminal grounded, and so the battery made a little fireworks show so i yanked the cable off the terminal and it was fine. i grounded the wire and thought eveything was ok, but when i went to start it, it didnt do anything. I have 12.2 volts on the battery, but it wont even turn over to start. I jump started it, and mmy battery light is on, and my gauge is way on the low side. While it was running, i disconnected the negative cable, and it died instantly. I think it may be either alternator or battery, maybe the volts are there but the amps arent? Did i fry it when i had all the sparks? Someone please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jump start it, and test the running voltage at the battery. Sounds like the alternator might be fried..

i agree.. msot cars dont like when you take the battery off while running... but if it dies... that menas its not gettign charged and the car is running off the battery.... and jsut because the battery wasnt grounded shouldnt have made sparks....

hey i fixed it!!!!! I blew the battery and the alternator at the same time!! Thats an accomplishment. Anyway, they were both under warranty so no big deal!

btw 12.2 volts is NOT good. You run at 13.8 with the alternator online and a good battery will put out more than 12.2 (usually 12.6)

Back