• Register Today It's free!

Won't stay running in cold

Shakma

Reaction score
City, State
Reading
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I bought my rig in the summer of 02. It's LOADED, everything works great. Then winter came. Under 38 degrees F it won't stay running. It will start, then bog, overrve, bog, shut down. On and on this goes. After starting it several times, it will then stay running. I have changed MAF, temp sensor, sending unit, and had it checked on the computer many times and it doesn't throw any codes. ??????????????????????? HELP :fire: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shakma said:
I bought my rig in the summer of 02. It's LOADED, everything works great. Then winter came. Under 38 degrees F it won't stay running. It will start, then bog, overrve, bog, shut down. On and on this goes. After starting it several times, it will then stay running. I have changed MAF, temp sensor, sending unit, and had it checked on the computer many times and it doesn't throw any codes. ??????????????????????? HELP :fire: :confused:

Welcome to the site.. Try cleaning the IAC.. It can cause your truck to bog down & shutoff.. If that still doesn't correct it, check the connection on it too.

Mine had a similar problem...replaced the IAC under warranty, and the problem went away. My X was also not throwing any codes.

BTW, welcome to the site!!

Start with IAC. Do you have the SOHC engine? If so, and IAC cleaning/replacing do not work, then chances are your intake manifold o-rings are bad. Run search for 00M12 and 01M01 for more info.

SOrry to be to basic, but what's IAC?

IAC is the Idle Air Control Valve. It's located on the side of the intake near the throttle body. It controls how much air flows into the motor when the vehicle is idling. If it becomes too dirty, or is damaged, the motor cannot correctly meter air at idle, usually causing stalling. The symptoms get worse as the temp goes down.

I had a similar problem with my 2001 Sport. Ended up replacing the intake manifold gaskets.

Back