Woukd this be this safe?

4x4Zach

Reaction score
City, State
Central GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
I'm new to Explorers and 4x4s in general and have a few questions. I have a
'97 Sport 4x4. I found this guy's page and really liked his X.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2548117

The first 2 pics show his car with a 3" SL, 2" TT and a 3" BL with 33"s.
The 3rd pic shows the same set-up without the BL with 33"s. With the BL, this is capable of clearing 35"s right?

I've searched all over this site and can't find out what a safe set-up is. First and foremost, I'm looking for something
to be safe on the interstate. I don't want to have anything to do with this lol. :roll: Would the 3" SL and 3" BL be safe? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zach It is not recomended to use a B/L in conjunction with a suspension lift. With that said I run 6" custom suspension lift and a 3" body lift. My truck is more stable at highway speeds than my work van. Just remember more lift = higher center of gravity, respect that and you will be ok. Also when running bigger tires, remember run good tires, you dont need it to get tippy at highway speeds in the event of a blowout. I would check the avalibility of a taller lift 6" rather than go with both suspension and B/L you will be money ahead to start with a good kit. The only reason I have a body lift is because I would have to do some major hacking to get the zf trans under the floorpan otherwise. You may have to do some trimming to the front bumper or get one made to clear 35's with 6". good luck:salute:

But what is the 3" suspension lift her is using....cause all the lifts kits are 4" I believe, so if he is using 3" spindles you can't use those do to the fact you are 4x4 and he is 4x2

But what is the 3" suspension lift her is using....cause all the lifts kits are 4" I believe, so if he is using 3" spindles you can't use those do to the fact you are 4x4 and he is 4x2

Oh, I didn't realize that. I guess I could go with the 4" lift and 2" TT and run 33"s. Wouldn't I need to add a leaf to the rear with the TT?

Just go sas. Just kidding Currently I have 6" skyjacker coils and a 1 1/2" factory f150 2X spacer to bring the skyjacker coils to a true 6". I cut the stock shock tuwers out and welded the f-superduty tower. Rancho 5012's 12"s of shock travel:thumbsup:. Custom home built radius arms. Custom super runner style steering with 1 1/2" dom tubing and hyme joints. Out back is a factory EX 4x4 spring pack with a skyjacker soft ride aal and a 4" shackel (2"of lift"). When I have the extra coin I will go with a 6" skyjacker soft ride spring with the shackle in the back to ditch the factory block.

If you can get a 6" kit for the front do a spring opver axle in the rear all you need is th set the pinion angle and weld on new spring purches on top of the axle. Change the orientation of the centering bolt and put it back together with thw springs on top. Plue factory Ex springs flex realy well. Do some searching there is lots of good info on this site.:thumbsup:

4x4 Zach keep in mind that 94 Crawler has a first gen and you a second. The front end of his truck is setup differently and therefore his lift would not work on your truck. Just something to keep in mind while checking out lifts.

Back